Chicken Newbee... what breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by whogroomer, Jul 12, 2010.

1. whogroomer

whogroomer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    Mahopac
    My neighbors dog killed 5/6 of my 5 week old chicks. The worst evening ever, as my 5 yr old saw the carnage. The survivor was pretty lonely, so I found someone who had chicks supposedly the same age. I drove 2 hours to see the chicks and they were all in bad shape and small.

This one was one of the healthier of the chicks for sale. I wasn't sure the breed, but she was in a cage labeled "Easter Eggers and Comets". I don't think its either.

I got 3 new barred rock, all of which were starving and dehydrated. They had no food and no water in their cages. 1 easter egger (which I'm sure of because it looks just like my survivor), and this little one.

Does anyone know?

P.S. all the new chicks are doing fine, although the barred rocks seem a bit slow and small compared to my first batch. The original batch was so friendly... dare I say affectionate, but these are all pretty timid around us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    It's certainly not a Gold Comet. Could be an Easter Egger. To me it looks most like a Barred Rock or maybe that mixed with something else.

3. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    looks like a barred rock or black giant

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I'm not sure what they are but I know they are better now that you gave them a home... I'm sorry about your loss. [​IMG]

I've seen it before. People advertise chicks for sale and then you go there and they are in bad shape. What can you do? It's sad.

5. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Dominique??? [spell check] I had some that looked very similar to a newbie!!! just my 2cents

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd guess silver pencilled rock, and maybe a roo.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Not Silver Penciled Rock (or if it is it's a really really bad one)

It's a boy, he looks like a mix to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by