Chicken Newbie...any idea what type of chickens I have??

chikeemomma25

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Southeast AL
My dh decided he was going to get some chickens (after a long time of trying to convince me...Now I am addicted!). We went to the local Tractor Supply and bought 6 chicks. 1 has since passed thanks to sneaking out and the Jack Russell attacking it in front of my 3 kids! Yikes!
Anyway....I am going to post some pics of them and hopefully someone can give me some ideas as to what they may be...most likely they are mutts! LOL. The big white one I am guessing is a meat chicken? She is a ravenous eater and has huge legs and is growing like she is on steroids! We appropriately named her Big Momma! LOL....Thanks in advance! Oh they are approximately 4 weeks old

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/53426_imag0021_desktop_resolution.jpg

Big Momma and Dot
53426_imag0022_desktop_resolution.jpg

53426_imag0023_desktop_resolution.jpg

All the girls (at least I hope they are girls!)
53426_imag0024_desktop_resolution.jpg

53426_imag0025_desktop_resolution.jpg

The large white one (big mama) looks like a cornish x, which is a meat bird. I think the first pic is a rhode island red, and it looks like a boy. The others look like girls except the black one could be a male black sex link, which the product of a red rooster over a barred hen. The babies are then sexed by color at hatching.

uummm...u might have 2 roos...altho i dont know much...i just got my first chickies also...but i think the 2 w/ the bigger pinker combs might be the boys...as for what breeds...dunno...dont even know what mine r...lol...hopefully someone w/ more experience w/ notify u...have fun
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
LOL
lau.gif
Looks like we may be renaming a few!!! Thanks for the info!

Here are some of their "baby" pictures...about 2 weeks old.

The third white one is no longer with us
sad.png

53426_p1080331.jpg

53426_p1080348.jpg

Last edited:
First of all...
welcome-byc.gif
!
Big Momma is a Cornish X. I think one is a RIR or Red sexlink. My other guesses are Barred Rock or male sex link, partridge rock, and white rock. This is fun!

Be careful what you feed Big Momma. Cornish X are bred to grow super fast, and unless you keep them on a strict diet her heart won't be able to keep up with her growing body and she will die. Some make it over a year, though. Sorry to sound depressing. Good luck w/ them!

Ok...I got some better pictures this afternoon. Maybe this will help! Thanks for the info so far!

"Red" lol
53426_imag0029.jpg

"Dot"
53426_imag0031.jpg

No name...but one of my favorites next to Red
53426_imag0034.jpg

53426_imag0032.jpg

The first one does look like a RIR, I got one last year and I love her. She is my best egg layer and they are always fertile(which is a huge bonus when you are incubating) I thought mine was a roo last year too and I posted pics of her around this age and got mixed reviews on the sex, so keep your fingers crossed, she might be a she:) They have really large combs and most of my RIR's babies I just hatched have really large combs too. Good luck

"Red" is a RIR roo.
big_smile.png

"Big Mama" is a Cornish X.
sad.png

"Dot" might be a White Rock?
idunno.gif

The barred one is a chicken, that is all i know.
tongue.png
gig.gif
tongue2.gif

the last one could be a Partridge Rock?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom