Chicken not acting normal

Montem28

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2022
Hi,
I have a 3 year old rhode island red. She had a really poopy vent that went unnoticed for a while. It was cleaned yesterday and today I soaked the in warm water with epsom salt for 20 minutes. As I picked her up to soak her, she seemed to vomit watery stuff.

Her tail is still droopy, and she seems lethargic. She perks up her tail once in a while, maybe as an act. I just separated her from the other chickens, and gave her food, water with ACV, and some plain yogurt. Is there anything else I could do? Do you know what could be wrong or she's still recovering from the poopy vent?

Attached is a picture of her poop after she was soaked in epsom salt.

Attachments

• 20220425_140824.jpg
    20220425_140824.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Thank you! I couldn't find/remember my old account info, so I am not entirely new. Just had to make an account for this emergency question. 😅
What exactly do you feed your birds?
Have you lost any birds in the last few months?
Have you ever had a respiratory like disease in your flock?

I feed them organic layer pellets from blue seal. I haven't lost any birds besides 1 had crop top maybe 1.5/2 years ago. I usually give the chickens scraps just when I have them (nothing moldy. Anything like lettuce, cabbage, grass, broccoli stems, etc.). This is the first time I'm giving the 1 yogurt.

Read through my article on crop disorders. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ It sounds like she may be suffering from a crop issue. Maybe you can figure out which one after reading through the article.
Thanks for the link! I read through it. Honestly I can't tell any difference between her crop and other chickens. It doesn't really seem like anything is wrong with it. She seems a bit better today. Not as lethargic as yesterday but still lags around/hangs back. The color of her crown seems fine. Though I think her legs look slightly pink. Any ideas on what I could give her to boost her immune system/energy?

Attachments

• 20220426_102658.jpg
    20220426_102658.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220426_101950.jpg
    20220426_101950.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220426_102053.jpg
    20220426_102053.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 2
High quality protein two or three times a week can boost her nutritional reserves. Eggs, tofu, fish, liver. A chicken that feels weak, behaves weak, and the others pick up on it. A chicken that feels strong and well nourished feels more like standing up for herself. It's a good way to break the bully/victim cycle.

High quality protein two or three times a week can boost her nutritional reserves. Eggs, tofu, fish, liver. A chicken that feels weak, behaves weak, and the others pick up on it. A chicken that feels strong and well nourished feels more like standing up for herself. It's a good way to break the bully/victim cycle.
Thank you! She seems to be getting better steadily. I've been giving her cooked eggs with some herbs. Good progress! Hopefully she's back to normal in a couple more days or so. Thanks for your help!

Thank you! She seems to be getting better steadily. I've been giving her cooked eggs with some herbs. Good progress! Hopefully she's back to normal in a couple more days or so. Thanks for your help!
Good news and bad news! Good news is that she seems to just about be 100%. She's perky, eating, seems alert. Bad new is that she seems to be getting bullied now. Her crown I noticed had some dry blood on it, and I just witnessed my rooster and another white chicken going after her! I broke it up and caught my rooster and held him upside down in front of her. Is there any way to stop the bullying? What should I put on her crown to heal? We barely had her separated. Any advice would be appreciated

Back
Top Bottom