Chicken one eye closed and lethargic please help

She is able to poop but it still looks hard. I real hope that it is not a lash egg. What should I do if it is?

I'd try giving her some molasses water, see if that helps move things if she's constipated.

Dissolve 1tsp Molasses in 1/4cup of warm water and have her drink it all or syringe it into her. Molasses has a laxative affect, so I'm not sure if this will help or not, you may find that she just pushes out a lot of liquid (has runny poop).

Do provide fresh plain water for her to drink after giving the Molasses.

If you are able to remove more material or she poops/expels material on her own, try to get photos.

I'm still uncertain if what you see if hardened poop or perhaps lash material. Lash Egg is inflammation of the Oviduct and there's a caseous multilayered exude that can build up in the Oviduct and reproductive system. This material can block the reproductive system, there's no cure. Best case is she's able to expel some material and be more comfortable, antibiotics can be given to help fight inflammation and infection, but eventually a hen will succumb to the condition.

This month seems to be a hard one for our flock. While Flathead (the chicken I have been talking about) has been getting much better, our lavender Orpington Maggie looks to have hurt her leg. She won’t put any weight on it, but it doesn’t look swollen. I noticed this yesterday but I shrugged it off, thinking it would go away by today. Since it is still happening, what should I do? For now I have her in a smaller part of the run so she doesn’t have to go as far to get food.

This month seems to be a hard one for our flock. While Flathead (the chicken I have been talking about) has been getting much better, our lavender Orpington Maggie looks to have hurt her leg. She won’t put any weight on it, but it doesn’t look swollen. I noticed this yesterday but I shrugged it off, thinking it would go away by today. Since it is still happening, what should I do? For now I have her in a smaller part of the run so she doesn’t have to go as far to get food.
So sorry to hear you've been having some troubles.
Can she use her leg at all? Will she grip your finger with her toes? If you touch or move her leg does she not like it?
If its not broken or dislocated or something like that, all you can really do is keep her separated and let her rest, with time it should heal.

So sorry to hear you've been having some troubles.
Can she use her leg at all? Will she grip your finger with her toes? If you touch or move her leg does she not like it?
If it’s not broken or dislocated or something like that, all you can really do is keep her separated and let her rest, with time it should heal.
She kinda uses her leg as a crutch and only rests on it to hobble around. She doesn’t seem to be in pain when I touch her leg, but she won’t grip me with her toes.

She kinda uses her leg as a crutch and only rests on it to hobble around. She doesn’t seem to be in pain when I touch her leg, but she won’t grip me with her toes.
Ok, she may have just sprained it or something. I would just keep her separated and let her rest.

Back
Top Bottom