Chicken one eye closed and lethargic please help

EChicky

Songster
Jun 14, 2023
Hi, one of my chickens (7 months old) has recently been acting strange. She always has one eye closed, is more calm, and seems a little wobbly. In addition, when she poops it comes out really small and sometimes runny and she makes a squeaky sound. She isn't as big as her sister who is the same age. I'm worried about her since she has been the sweetest chick. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Attachments

• PXL_20231230_003952715.jpg
    PXL_20231230_003952715.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 177
  • PXL_20231230_003907735.jpg
    PXL_20231230_003907735.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 16
What’s her diet?
Is she eating and drinking?
How long has she been acting like that?
When was her last egg?
How is she wobbly? Not walking straight?
When does she make that sqeak noise? Could you possibly get a video of her doing it?

For her eye, all I would do for now is rinse it out with saline a few times a day.

We just started later feed on the 1st of December. She seems to be eating but I don't know about drinking.
She has been acting like this for around 2 or 3 weeks.
She hasn't started laying yet.
She kind of limps and wobbles when she walks.
The squeaky sound comes when she tries to poop. It is almost like she is pushing really hard but nothing comes out.

We just started later feed on the 1st of December. She seems to be eating but I don't know about drinking.
She has been acting like this for around 2 or 3 weeks.
She hasn't started laying yet.
She kind of limps and wobbles when she walks.
The squeaky sound comes when she tries to poop. It is almost like she is pushing really hard but nothing comes out.
If possible, I would separate her in a dog crate inside the run, have fresh plain water and feed in there and monitor her. Grit would be good to give too.
Has she remained the same with her behavior or slowly gotten worse?
Since she seems to be having trouble pooping, I would chill some coconut oil and once chilled, break into chunks and give that to her a couple times a day.

Okay. I have noticed that it has stayed pretty much the same. The only new thing is the balance issue and the constipation started last week. What should I do if she won’t take the coconut oil? She’s a picky eater haha

Okay. I have noticed that it has stayed pretty much the same. The only new thing is the balance issue and the constipation started last week. What should I do if she won’t take the coconut oil? She’s a picky eater haha
Did it come on suddenly?
How new is the balance issue?
If she won’t take the coconut oil, you’ll have to put it in her mouth yourself. It’s actually easier than you think, just pop the chunk into her mouth and she’ll swallow.
Or, you could scramble eggs with coconut oil and give her that.

Hi, one of my chickens (7 months old) has recently been acting strange. She always has one eye closed, is more calm, and seems a little wobbly. In addition, when she poops it comes out really small and sometimes runny and she makes a squeaky sound. She isn't as big as her sister who is the same age. I'm worried about her since she has been the sweetest chick. Is there anything I can do to help her?
I'd make sure she's got grit available free choice.

Give her some applesauce if she won't eat the coconut chunks. This may help with constipation.

The eye, open it up, flush it out with saline and see if there's anything in it.

Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's?

I'd focus on her eating/drinking, encourage hydration. Layer feed is o.k. at her age, but it sounds like she may be failing to thrive very well. You can try giving her extra protein and vitamins to see if those make a difference. Give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E daily for a couple of weeks. For extra protein, egg, fish or meat are good to give, a small amount every few days.

She is taking the coconut oil very well and has been for 2 days, but I noticed a small yellow rock shaped thing inside her vent. She still is struggling to poop but it is getting a little better. Any ideas what this could be?

Back
Top Bottom