Chicken Party At Night!

kbroom

Songster
Jan 26, 2023
I don't know enough about chickens yet to know what I'm not supposed to do. Ignorance DOES have its rewards....I think. LOL! I have strung lights all over my chicken run, and have large lights for both coops inside. The chickens seem to like it, of course, what are they going to do? Form another committee? Like the older chickens did, when I opened the last quarter of the run, getting rid of the fire wood, so that my baby Sex Links would have a greater area to run? Well, they haven't done it yet. They also haven't complained about the music. That's right. I keep the radio on soft, inspirational music, so that the coyotes (I've heard that they prefer Rap!) don't get interested. One of these days, if it ever stops raining, I'm going to find another place for the wood...

Attachments

• IMG_4689.JPG
    IMG_4689.JPG
    395.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4692.JPG
    IMG_4692.JPG
    422 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4695.JPG
    IMG_4695.JPG
    360.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4685.JPG
    IMG_4685.JPG
    821.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4683 (1).JPG
    IMG_4683 (1).JPG
    734.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4644.JPG
    IMG_4644.JPG
    717.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4680.JPG
    IMG_4680.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
I don't have any links handy, but I believe that people have tried 24 hour light to see if that improves laying and found that it had a negative effect on the chicken's health over time.

That said, many urban/suburban chickens live in areas that are never truly dark because of streetlights, security lights, etc.

Best to monitor their behavior and health and be prepared to adjust as appropriate.

It looks cute but chickens do need darkness at night to sleep. I have string lights across the top of my chicken yard fence and a motion light (it’s only 800 lumens so it’s not a bright flood light) outside of it so I can see what I’m doing out there when I’m out during warm nights, but I really wouldn’t recommend lighting the coop where it’ll disturb the chickens. The coyotes would also get used to a radio btw!

Unfortunately it's not such a good idea. If my understanding is correct, and you're doing it to keep the coyotes away, they will eventually learn that music and lights won't get in their way of getting to the birds. Best to just have a secure coop and run and just let the birds sleep in the dark
Thanks for the info! I didn't know, obviously. Another reason I did this was to be able to see a predator, if one did get into the pen.

If you're asking whether what you're doing is a good management technique....
.....it is not.
OK. Then the chickens would prefer the dark? The reason I did this in the beginning is because, when I left the light on, I noticed that they seemed to gravitate to the light (for security?) as opposed to shying away from it, as an annoyance, seemingly.

It looks cute but chickens do need darkness at night to sleep. I have string lights across the top of my chicken yard fence and a motion light (it’s only 800 lumens so it’s not a bright flood light) outside of it so I can see what I’m doing out there when I’m out during warm nights, but I really wouldn’t recommend lighting the coop where it’ll disturb the chickens. The coyotes would also get used to a radio btw!
OK. There seems to be a consensus among the chicken moms. I'll leave the string lights. It looks in the picture like the light is INSIDE the coops, which it is not. But still, it may be too much as well. I'm going to try just leaving the string lights then, and I also have motion activated lights outside the pen as well. So, that should alarm any would be predators. Perhaps I'll bring back the soft music during the egg laying stage? Don't know. I though it might help, but maybe not. Doesn't anyone here play music for their chickens???

Back
Top Bottom