Chicken Pecking Wound ***PICS OF WOUND ATTACHED***

Hi guys,
Pecking can be a boredom or a space issue, along with just a bully chicken issue. I personally remove the offender and leave them separate but able to see the others for a week or so and see if that helps.Sometimes this helps to re-create the "pecking order" and give the picked on hen not only a break but some confidence as well.Personally, when we get a "bully" they get one time out...then a permanent time out if it doesn't work out. It is very stressful on the rest of the hens to have a constant nag at hand!

As for the wounded hen-if you can I would treat with Tylan 50 injectable at 1/2 cc orally for 5-7 days along with cleaning the wound daily.I agree you need to debride it as all the black tissue is dead and rotting.I would also use some neosporin on it , gauze it and vet wrap it as she may be picking at it herself as well at this point.
Good luck with your hen.

I usually use dial hand soap because I know that it's gentle, I do not know how gentle the Palmolive is.

One of my girls has a wound on the back of her neck,Ive brought her inside out of the cold for the night,i wasnt sure if after treating the wound if i should bandage it or not.Should i let her be with her sisters while i supervise.

I think winter is too long! Hens must feel too "cooped," up too!

We are having same problems, and one of our hens is missing so any feathers! Took her out and she is now in a different coop with our rabbits. We aren't sure who the bully is, so until or if we figure that out...well this little hen needs time to heal! Hoping she makes it!

Do hens die of loneliness ?

One of my girls has a wound on the back of her neck,Ive brought her inside out of the cold for the night,i wasnt sure if after treating the wound if i should bandage it or not.Should i let her be with her sisters while i supervise.

No need to cover the wound after treating it. And definitely keep the wounded hen away from the others while she heals. Supervising them together is ok if you can really watch them the entire time they are together.

I think winter is too long! Hens must feel too "cooped," up too!

We are having same problems, and one of our hens is missing so any feathers! Took her out and she is now in a different coop with our rabbits. We aren't sure who the bully is, so until or if we figure that out...well this little hen needs time to heal! Hoping she makes it!

Do hens die of loneliness ?

Not sure if they die of loneliness, but alone time to heal while you provide some tlc
love.gif
is better than the wound getting pecked at. I kept one of my hens away from the others for nearly 2 weeks. I was able to keep her right next to the coop though in a separate outside pen so that she could still see the other hens. It worked out really well. Pretending that the others would just leave her alone did not work at all, even when I sprayed BluKote on the wound.
And I agree that winter makes for very bored birds
sad.png
Spring time can't get here fast enough!

I recently discovered one of my hens with a huge hole under her vet with flystike.
I soaked her 20 min to get the maggots out in epsom salt, gently rubbed with wash cloth, dumped pan out and did it again to make sure all the maggots were gone. I gave her 1 cc of Gentocin (which I just happen to have extra of) put her in my house with a heatlamp. I noticed black edges appearing around her skin and not sure if this is scabbing or what. One person said soak all the time another says dry out. I'm confused. So I just went with my gut and put triple antibiotic on it. She can not go outside because the flies will just lay more eggs on her. She seems healthy but the hole is so big. Skin around hole pink but with black edges. I guess I'm gong to soak her again, but not with epson salt as I read that can damage new skin cells, and try to rub the black off then put her under heat lamp and reapply triple antibiotic and continue 1cc each day of gentocin just under the skin at the back of her neck. If anyone has a suggesting for what I should or should not do I'd be happy.

I recently discovered one of my hens with a huge hole under her vet with flystike.
I soaked her 20 min to get the maggots out in epsom salt, gently rubbed with wash cloth, dumped pan out and did it again to make sure all the maggots were gone. I gave her 1 cc of Gentocin (which I just happen to have extra of) put her in my house with a heatlamp. I noticed black edges appearing around her skin and not sure if this is scabbing or what. One person said soak all the time another says dry out. I'm confused. So I just went with my gut and put triple antibiotic on it. She can not go outside because the flies will just lay more eggs on her. She seems healthy but the hole is so big. Skin around hole pink but with black edges. I guess I'm gong to soak her again, but not with epson salt as I read that can damage new skin cells, and try to rub the black off then put her under heat lamp and reapply triple antibiotic and continue 1cc each day of gentocin just under the skin at the back of her neck. If anyone has a suggesting for what I should or should not do I'd be happy.
I'm not sure on the Gentocin, but I think that you should definitely soak or rinse the area daily even if it's just with water. Don't let it dry out, cause you may still need to rinse out maggots or necrosis. After the rinsing, and as you dry the area with gauze, towel, paper towel, or whichever you prefer, that would be a great time to kind of pick at the blackened edges to try to remove as much as possible of the dead skin. And then apply the triple antibiotic ointment (that's basically what you already said that you'd do, and I agree). I recently have discovered Vetericyn and that could be used in place of triple antibiotic ointment. Seems like the vent area is too difficult to bandage so your bird should do well without a bandage as long as she is separated.
Is she eating? I think it is a good idea to give antibiotic, I just have no suggestions since I have never given oral or injectable antibiotics to hens.

Back
Top Bottom