Chicken plucking other chicken’s feathers out, causing them to bleed! Help!

I don't have any direct experience with bullying, so I'm repeating what I have read.

Many people have found it helpful to switch to an all-flock feed of at least 18% protein, preferably 20% -- offering oystershell on the side.

Do you have a dog crate you could put her into? I use one as a broody breaker: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/outdoor-broody-breaker.76592/
Ok thank you. I will switch their food to all flock and get some oyster shells as well.
I do provide them with "Golden Egg Farmers Helper" treats which say they have protein and other good stuff as well.

I went out earlier today and tried to apply the pecking prevention and wound healing care on the chickens, but I was unable to apply it because I couldn't catch them. I am going to have to wait till they go in to roost to try and do that.

I do have a dog crate I could use. I am just confused on how I would use it in this case because I am not sure if she can be reunited with the flock.
Should I put the dog crate in the garage and fully isolate her? Or should I put the crate inside the run with the other chickens?

I was unable to apply it because I couldn't catch them. I am going to have to wait till they go in to roost to try and do that.

I do almost all bird care off the roost at night for exactly that reason. :D

Should I put the dog crate in the garage and fully isolate her? Or should I put the crate inside the run with the other chickens?

I can't advise you on that because I don't have enough experience. I hope someone else will have more advice to give on that issue.

It’s an empty rectangle for the most part, with space under the coop for shelter.
I have a chicken swing hanging as well as a block for them to play/jump on.
I just started putting their food and water outside, it used to be kept only in the coop. I have them under the coop for protection from rain/snow. I also left a second waterer inside the coop (the nipple waterer). I have a second feeder available now, but I do not have it in the coop at the moment. I will try to put that back inside the coop as well.

As a note, yesterday I decided to let them out to free range while I dug out the older muddy straw and placed new straw in the run. Of course, they loved that, there was no issues with pecking each other while they were out. I may try to let them out more and see if that stops the bad behavior.
3KillerBs already linked you the clutter thread, so I suggest taking a look at the various suggestions in there and adding some to the run. It makes a huge difference by giving the chickens stuff to interact with, plus visually breaking up the space so birds that are picked on can take shelter or run away.

I have up to 5 feeders out in the morning as that's when they're most likely to fight over food, and it keeps them all moving around while guaranteeing that everyone gets a chance to eat.
My husband bought some stuff at the store to try one that helps heal chicken wounds that I guess also turns the wound blue to the other chickens don't mess with it, and another to put on all the chickens being pecked at to try to deter the behavior. I don't have the names of the products off hand, but has anyone had luck with these types of products?
I assume that's Blu Kote and Pick No More lotion. I have both.

Blu Kote I don't find to make much difference in most cases as far as picking, but it does also function as an antibacterial or anti fungal I believe, so I use it to clean up and treat minor injuries here.

Pick No More does seem to deter feather picking (I had a disabled bird that was getting plucked during molt) however it needs to be applied regularly, up to twice a day, in order to be effective. It's a decent short term solution but not a good long term one.

3KillerBs already linked you the clutter thread, so I suggest taking a look at the various suggestions in there and adding some to the run. It makes a huge difference by giving the chickens stuff to interact with, plus visually breaking up the space so birds that are picked on can take shelter or run away.

I have up to 5 feeders out in the morning as that's when they're most likely to fight over food, and it keeps them all moving around while guaranteeing that everyone gets a chance to eat.

I assume that's Blu Kote and Pick No More lotion. I have both.

Blu Kote I don't find to make much difference in most cases as far as picking, but it does also function as an antibacterial or anti fungal I believe, so I use it to clean up and treat minor injuries here.

Pick No More does seem to deter feather picking (I had a disabled bird that was getting plucked during molt) however it needs to be applied regularly, up to twice a day, in order to be effective. It's a decent short term solution but not a good long term one.
Yes that is what they are called. Thanks for the info about the products. I tried both of them tonight. Both products are incredibly messy. Any recommendation on how much of the Peck No More to use? Did you apply it to the skin or on the feathers?

I will try adding more clutter.
This weekend I’m going to build a smaller second coop for the injured bird to be in till she’s healed up.

I do find it weird that only the Golden Laced that are getting picked on. The other Rhode Island Reds are unharmed. That makes me think it’s being done out of boredom rather and cannibalism.
I don’t know if there is any truth to that, I am just trying to figure it out.

Yes that is what they are called. Thanks for the info about the products. I tried both of them tonight. Both products are incredibly messy. Any recommendation on how much of the Peck No More to use? Did you apply it to the skin or on the feathers?
Yes both are messy. I keep disposable gloves around so I don't stain my hands while using those products.

For the Pick No More I squirt it on my gloved hands and massage it onto the affected area. As far as skin vs feathers, it depends on what they're chewing on. For most cases you'd want to apply directly onto the skin. If it's only the tips of the feathers being chewed (happens sometimes) then applying on only feathers is fine.
I will try adding more clutter.
This weekend I’m going to build a smaller second coop for the injured bird to be in till she’s healed up.
Clutter should help. And just make sure any isolation set up is in full view of the flock, to make reintegration as smooth as possible.
I do find it weird that only the Golden Laced that are getting picked on. The other Rhode Island Reds are unharmed. That makes me think it’s being done out of boredom rather and cannibalism.
RIRs are known for being more aggressive as a breed, so that might play into it.

Back
Top Bottom