1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken poo doesnt look very well! Help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tangerinedreams, Sep 6, 2010.

1. tangerinedreams

tangerinedreams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Someone needs to help me ease my guilt! I have three 10 week old bantams and originally I was feeding them corn which I got from a friend. Their poo was firm greyish black colour.

I ran out of corn though so bought some growers pellets from the pet shop, which I was advised would be fine for them. I have now noticed that their poo is very soft and a sandy brown colour. Can someone please offer me some advice of what may be the problem? I feel terrible that its not good for them or that they might be ill!

From what I've learnt so far is that nothing seems to be made simple and straight forward in regards to the labels that are on products. For example the growers pellets I bought have one label saying that they are not suitable to make up a complete diet for them, and another label saying that it is a complete and healthy diet for them to eat! I don't really understand what it means! I presumed at the time that it meant that they still need greens and other tit-bits top eat but now i really don't know! So you know I do give them bits of veg once or twice a day. Usually one of their treats is cucumber as they love it, but I'm working my way through a list of suitable treats that I found on this website to find what they like best.

The last 3 days I have fed them this:

Pellets in feed tray > mid-day I give them about an inch or two of cucumber cut up > afternoon half a cut up tomato
    Pellets > cucumber > 6 blueberrys
    pellets > cucumber> 2 raspberries and 2 leaves of lettuce.

They also have access to grass and dirt for bugs to eat.

I guess this might sound a bit pedantic of me to list the above but its really upsetting me to think that I'm not giving them the best and healthiest life they could be having!

Thanks in advance for your answers helpful people

2. Betsy410

Betsy410 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2010
    I am a newbie too but I would say that it is their system getting adjusted to the new food. Our chickens have a variety of poops everyday. I fed mine grower crumbles until 22 weeks and then switched to layer crumbles and now at they are on layer pellets w/ oyster shell mixed in. I mix some old food in with the new so they don't have a sudden change. That is what I have done w/ any of my animals when I switch their feed. I also give the chicks sunflower seeds and various treats.

Enjoy your cluckers!
    Betsy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by