Chicken poop for vegetable gardens?

Beka123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 31, 2012
I know this isn't the right section of the forum for this question but i couldn't find a section that sounded like the "right" one to me, so sorry!

But I was wondering, I know chicken poop is high in ammonia so I'm curious, what is the proper ratio of chicken poop (per foot or yard or something) for a veg garden so I don't burn up all my plants? Going to put in a raised garden bed this Saturday, so it will either be 8x8 or 8x16, depending on how ambitious I feel on that day haha!

Chicken litter is ideal for a garden. However, the window for applying it to the garden, for this year, has just about closed in most places in the US. Raw manure should only be applied in the fall and winter, after the garden has been harvested. Manure should no longer be applied once you are within 60 days of your planting date. It is almost March, so make careful note of how much time remains before your planting date. The issue is much more about pathogens than it is about ammonia. Here's a simple, clear explanation.

http://umaine.edu/publications/2510e/

You can always compost the manure for applying next fall/winter.

Last edited:
That was a great website thank you for the info. I had no idea about the raw manure thing. I have read that sheep poop "can be directly applied to gardens" and I always wondered about that, I thought "can't you always apply leaf eating poop to garden soil?" lol guess i know now! That saddens me though, it's going to be harder to find the right kind of manure now. Thanks again!

I compost mine. I have a lovely little three bin compost system, where I add to a bin for a year, let it cook for a year, and then harvest the following. That breaks down most of harmful chemicals, and the only bacteria in it at that point are beneficial ones. I use pine shavings in my coop, which provide a great source of carbon(composting requires nitrogen and carbon), so I could easily compost just the sweepings from the coop and get wonderfully rich compost.

I compost mine. I have a lovely little three bin compost system, where I add to a bin for a year, let it cook for a year, and then harvest the following. That breaks down most of harmful chemicals, and the only bacteria in it at that point are beneficial ones. I use pine shavings in my coop, which provide a great source of carbon(composting requires nitrogen and carbon), so I could easily compost just the sweepings from the coop and get wonderfully rich compost.
My mom told me that the pine needles from our pine trees are good for the soil, would pine needles work the same way as pine shavings in my compost pile? I have basically a carpet of pine needles in my front yard, even when I mow I can't get rid of those pesky pointy things.

Would you girls enjoy walking on those pointy things? Probably not. Compost em, don't use em in the run. But realize that pine needles are highly acidic, so only use them in compost intended for plants that enjoy acidic soil, like strawberries. I love to go to my mother's house and rake up a bag or two of pine needles just for my strawberry patch. Come to think of it, she doesn't mind either...

Oh no I have hay in their coop and nest boxes, I would just put the pine needles in my compost pile. Thanks for the info, I am getting strawberries this year, that will be perfect!

I have heard that if you just let the chicken poo "rest" a year that it is fine then to put on your garden as is.

As to what to add for composting, dried grass clippings, straw, dry leaves, etc. will all work, too.

If you let your chicken poo rest in a pile with all the straw and pine shavings, it will naturally compost in the richest, most wonderful dark compost you could ever get.
You should let it 'rest' for six months to a year if you are going to put it on your veggies within six months of harvesting. Chicken poo has salmonella, and you need to let it die off and let other, more beneficial bacteria take its place.

Back
Top Bottom