Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Quote:
th.gif
that is NOT possible with you and your cabinet bator Muggs! Are you bringing some to chickenstock?? what kinds are you listing? Did I miss that somewhere??

Columbian Wyandottes I love mine, they are similar to Sussexs. Some of my Columbians eat straight out of my hand but they aren't so broody.
I like Lakenvelders too for the black and white color of course they are much smaller than the Columbian Giants, lol.
The friendliest chicken breed I've found is the Buff Brahma Banty for me atleast and they make great mothers.

Last edited:
Quote:
th.gif
that is NOT possible with you and your cabinet bator Muggs! Are you bringing some to chickenstock?? what kinds are you listing? Did I miss that somewhere??

lau.gif

Hello I am new to BYC and to chickens. I was looking to see if anyone had a thread on something like," fascination with chicken watching" or something like that and found this thread. Everyone on here is pretty much addicted to chickens. I love to just sit and watch them. I love it when they run after me for some treats.
We started off with wanting maybe 6 (RIR)just for the eggs. The man we bought them off of said that we should at least start with 8, so we did. Since we too wanted the eggs,"NOW" they were hens that had just started laying. There I was introduced to an easter egger, which I had never heard of in my entire life! Of course since I love the color Blue, I just had to have one of these chickens. I wanted to see the egg for myself.
pop.gif
Went a few days later and bought 10 from the local TSC. Now we had 18 in a matter of 3 days. Thinking about all the chickens we could have on our own if we just had a rooster, we incubated the first 11 eggs from the farm we got our original 8 from. We assumed that they'd be laying some fertile eggs for a while since there was a rooster in their pen with them. Sure enough 8 successfully hatched. One was a complete dud and two never hatched. So within a month we had 26 chickens and here I am on BYC.
frow.gif
D.gif
:
jumpy.gif

I am now going to look up some info on peacocks.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Good luck with that!!! hee hee. Actually, 20-40 or so is fine with me. I don't know how you handled so many chickens. And so many roos! I have to get rid of a pile of baby roos soon - seems I gave away all the girls.
tongue.png

Have also been busy with all sorts of stuff - as a school employee, I get the summer partially off, so I have to rush to get everything done!!

Well, my lack of patience drove me to buy a replacement gosling (for the one of a sexed pair that died) off Craigslist. None of the hatcheries have any more goslings - the ones I got were the last hatch for Ideal. (They did refund the cost of the gosling that died.) My poor little Toulouse gosling, Kate, is a week old and still housed in a brooder with the packing peanuts with which she was shipped. This is Kate last night, all six inches of her.
41679_katewithminions6-16.jpg

The "2 to 3 week old" Toulouse gosling on CL is a boy (we're pretty sure of that, but heck, could be wrong about it) is certainly older than 3 weeks.
41679_ngbyhimself.jpg

There is no way I could put him in the brooder with Kate and her minion chicks. He was gonna have to live outside with the ducks and chickens.

You should have seen me driving home with that gosling held against my chest! He is very imprinted on people; his previous family was very worried that I might not understand he is a pet. "He follows you everywhere, he likes chickens, and he swims good!" said the young lady turning him over to me. "I have chickens, and ducks, and a pool," I reassured her.

He would not stay in his box on the passenger seat of my car, so that's why I picked him up and drove home with him held against my chest with one arm. He leaned against me, wound his neck around one side of mine and gently billed my necklace, earrings, hair, and the curve of my neck. There was no doubt I was gonna get covered in goose crap during that ride, and I did. But he was so cute and lovable! After a bit, he turned around to look around as I drove, and I was able to see some really startled looks from passengers and drivers in other cars next to us. Yup, that's a little goose neck and head peering this way and that!

When I got home, the ducks just happened to be playing in a mud puddle in the front yard. NG (NewGosling, temporary name) was far more interested in checking out the grass right next to me, and following me, than interacting with the slightly suspicious ducks. The chickens could care less, which I thought was both interesting and cute.
41679_ngand3chickens.jpg

He did follow the ducks around to the back yard, at last, but only because I went inside the house to throw my fouled clothing into the washer and change into something suitable for sitting on the ground with a curious gosling. I tried to put him in a small pen/coop for the night, because he's still very young and I thought he would need the warmth of the enclosed 2-chicken coop. (It's what I use for an infirmary sometimes.) Noop, not happy there at all. I let him out to mingle with the rest of the flock as they settled down. Maybe he would follow somebody into a coop......

As night fell, he hooted a little bit until he found where the ducks had settled down for the night. He settled down very near them.

In the morning, all was well, and he was less interested in following me as I filled waterers and feeders, than he was in accompanying the 7 ducks.

Once I get moved to my new home, Kate should be old enough and big enough to join him.
fl.gif

Quote:
Yes, welcome Grillmaster.
Fluffy the older retired hobby farm couple bought 5 of my young Buff Brahma Banties hens and I think they will be back. The husband seemed in awe of the many colorful roosters. After talking to him, I guessed he had Leghorns on the farm when he was a kid.

I used to have a Brown Leghorn hen way back when, but I personally don't care for the breed. I recently got rid of all my Brahmas. I'm not a big fan of Pea combs. They are a sweet breed though.
love.gif
I used to have two Buff Brahma Bantam hens, and they were very sweet.

Back
Top Bottom