Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Quote:
No problem.
I'm getting rid of around 30-40 birds this evening!!
ya.gif

~ Aspen

Quote:
Do you freeze your eggs? I've heard of others doing that, but it seems REALLY odd to me.

I tried. I mixed up a dozen eggs and froze it in icecube trays for giggles. My master plan was to pop out the cubes and freeze those in a freezer bag. But it was IMPOSSIBLE to get the durn cubes out. I wrapped up the trays whole and am keeping it in the freezer as an experiment.
tongue.png
I'll probably just put straight into a ziploc next time. I asked at the local food bank, and they WILL take eggs, but they are only open two HOURS a week. Put an ad on craigslist, but no takers yet - we have a lot of chicken people here I think. So the girls get a dozen eggs every other day or so.
tongue.png
Right now I think I have 25 dozen in the fridge, all under three weeks old. (!!).

ep.gif
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::th:barnie:cd:yuckyuck

MY SON WANTED A DOG AND MY HUBBY SAID WE DIDN'T HAVE TIME FOR ONE. SO I WENT WITH MY HUBBIES UNCLE TO A CHICKEN FARM AND CAME BACK WITH 5 BUFF ORPINGTONS.
HUBBY SAID NO................................. SO I BUILT THE PEN, AND I HAVE OCD THINGS HAVE TO BE DONE MY WAY AND MUCH NAGGING AND GOING OUT EVRY FIVE MINUTES HE CAME AROUND. THEN WE STARTED BUILDING PENS. THEN WE WENT BACK TO THE FARM AND CAME BACK WITH 5 MORE. AND NOW WE HAVE 18 AND I WANT MORE............................I'LL GET THEM NEXT MONTH:weee:weee

We started with 3 sexlinks. We knew they would be good layers and were looking forward to the fresh eggs.

All the books I'd been reading refered to having backyard chickens as having a 'flock' which sounds really cool but I only had 3 and felt my brood was too small to be considered a 'flock'.

My husband agreed that having 3 more chickens wouldn't be any more effort than the 3 we already had and we'd have enough eggs to share!

So we went to the hatchery to pick up 3 and left with 4 (because they're so darned cute) and on the way home we stopped at D&B Supply to get more feed and WHAT?! They had the silliest little Polish chicks EVER and we came home with 2 Crested Polish chicks.

So we went out for 3 and came home with 6. Hhhmmm... 9 is a flock!

And I've learned here, that is called 'chicken math'. 3 + 3 = 9

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Well it ended up he only took 11 chickens...sooooo dissapointed!
he.gif
he.gif
Now I have like 5 roosters for every 1 hen.
roll.png

~ Aspen

Oh my gosh... those poor poor hens!
barnie.gif
th.gif

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Well it ended up he only took 11 chickens...sooooo dissapointed!
he.gif
he.gif
Now I have like 5 roosters for every 1 hen.
roll.png

~ Aspen

I hear you. I have 2 pairs of Coronation roos and Split Coro/Light Sussex hens...everyone wants the hens, but no one wants the roos. I refuse to split them up as I don't want to be left with MORE ROOS! I counted this weekend...I have a whopping 30 roosters.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom