Chicken processing remains for dogs?

lmblackburn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Mon. County, WV
This is my first year raising meat birds. We have 10 to be butchered in another month or two, BOs and BRs. I own a Greater Swiss Mnt. dog and thought it would be cool if I could use some of the chicken bits that we won't eat for him as dog food and/or treats. So, do any of you do this already? Can the blood be made into anything or just frozen and doled out as treats? I am very interested in learning what bits you give your dogs and how to prepare them.

Thanks!

ours love the necks and they are REALLY good for their teeth. You can take the gizzard.liver and heart and grind them up in to a dog food if you wish with the fee and necks too.

I think it's a great idea.

My lab is a raw fed dog. So far her chicken eating experience has just been with grocery store birds but I hope to raise some of those 'unwanted' layer breed cockrels for her to eat.

I do feed her all sorts of scraps from the wild game (deer, squirrels, rabbits, doves) that I take during hunting season. She loves it.

Our dogs are on a raw diet.

They love the leftover carcass of any animal we butcher. I don't do anything to any of it. Just give it to them and they drag it off and eat it.

I give my dogs the heart, liver, kidneys, gizard and neck right off the bat. I do cook them, but only because I feel like it, not because they need them cooked. I cook the whole batch up then put it in tubs in the fridge and freezer to add in small amounts to their regular food at each meal. I also keep all trimmings from a cooked bird and do the same, the skin, fat, juices, etc that we don't eat. In fact, all meat scraps at our house end up in a tub that I dole out to the dogs in small amounts. They love mealtime!

I toss out all the extra parts, the dogs and cats go crazy!!!!!!the only thing that gets left behind are teh feathers and the guts. My dogs love the feet and they all fight for the organs.

They love it when I do the rabbits too.

I have a raw fed dog, and I've been saving everything but the intestines and feathers for her. When I process, I have a line of ice cream buckets next to me and organs go into one, heads and feet into another, intestines in another. Then its easy to split up for freezing.
I put the heads and feet together in ziploc freezer bags, all other organs/misc tubes, extra skin, fat go into small gladware containers. I also started saving blood lately. I bleed them out into plastic ice cream buckets and it hardens up into a jello like consistency pretty quickly. Then I cut it up and put it into small gladware containers too.

Wow, I'm in awe of you all using every bit of your birds. I wish I had the energy to do that! As for the dogs, I have heard that they can eat the backs and necks as well, but only raw- that cooking them can make them splinter when chewed, and kill your dog.

not a fan of raw food diet for dogs.. but i give the dogs the hearts and organs (cooked) ... then when i cook down the carcasses for stock i strain out all the leavin's and the cats eat like kings for a week! our cats get the necks and they pick every little bit from the bones.

some folks put the feathers and such in the compost pile (layered in straw) but we have too many over interested dogs. so we just dig (deep) hole or build a big burn pile.

good luck!

I wax my ducks, and as a result the heads are featherless. My Great Pyrenees puppy loves munching on the raw head. For a chew toy I give her the duck feet. I love the giblets for myself, so the dog is out of luck in that department.

This works out very well for me, because it cuts down on her food bill.

Back
Top Bottom