Chicken Proof Garden's 2015

Xephyr

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Oregon
So after our lab dug up/ate my old garden ...I gave up for awhile.
Then I got chickens......they very cutely ate everything :)
I think I had green withdrawal so decided to Lab/chicken proof and make my own gardens.

Here is the first that was ready to plant
I used this plastic (very light and inexpensive garden fencing) netting and my husband made the raised bed box.

My Tomatoes, Lemon Cucumber and Snap peas are safe!
See the little plants being effectively protected from the little chickens
yesss.gif

"Mmmm, snap peas! I can almost reach them..." drools Vega.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the front on the Right side is fastened by little gold cup hooks so I can get in to tend the plants.

My other garden is not done yet.
Well it was a raised garden already yes, but to put plants in it we needed a chicken forcefield first.
So this is what we have so far.

There are 3 sections that simply lift off for plant care.
But it was late, and I am wimping out till later this week.
big_smile.png

Here is my Super son helping mom unload the dirt from the trailer for the other one. We haven't started chicken proofing this one yet.
So the chicken girls think it is the best dust hole.

Last edited:
What a great idea! I have almost lost my whole basil plant to my free ranging chicks! And how cool your in helping! My 2 yr old loves helping but is constantly picking things that arent ready. its so much fun to him though!

Last edited:
Yeah, I’ve had trouble with dogs digging in fresh beds or just rolling in there if it smells good to them. And chickens can quickly destroy anything green. Deer are a problems for me too. Fencing is the only way I’ve come up with that stops them.

I like those lift-off panels for access but if you plant anything that gets tall the chickens will likely hop up there and eat stuff that comes through.

My four year old granddaughter is visiting this week and helping in the garden. Seems like I do a lot more supervising than actually working in there but she is a lot of fun. I can work next week when she is gone.

Nice!!! Fencing is a good friend to keep beasties where they need to be-- OUT of the garden. Lost all my flower beds to the free ranging birds!!! Buggers!! lol Working on solutions here too!!

Back
Top Bottom