Any help would be great.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leann Moot

Chirping
May 24, 2017
I have a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte 4 month old pullet named Shirly.that was stung in the eye about 15 times by honey bees. I have removed all the stingers. Her eye is swollen, cloudy and a dark color. She is sensitive to light and keeps her eye closed when she is in the sun but when she is in the chicken coop she opens it. She has some vision in the eye but I don't know how much. Yesterday I went to tractor supply and bought Terramycin Ophthalmic ointment and I am applying to her eye 3 times a day along with childrens benadryl 2 time a day. She is acting normal, eating and drinking good, going outside looking for bugs, poop is good, no sneezing or respiratory issues. I have not removed her from the 5 other chickens she lives with because she is not getting picked on at all. Since applying the Terramycin to her eye it seems to be a little better every day. I am posting this to see if any one out there has had some experience with chicken eye bee stings? I would love to here from you, thanks.

Attachments

• shirly eye 1.jpg
    shirly eye 1.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Shirly eye 2.jpg
    Shirly eye 2.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 11
Welcome :frow Sorry, that sounds painful! You already removed the stingers, that’s great. Keep using the ointment until all swelling and irritation is gone. Cold compress early may help but I don’t think many chickens would be tolerating it. If the stingers did not damage the eye itself or at the most caused an abrasion on the cornea she should be ok... 15 stings, that’s a lot! Never had a critter with more than one and no damage to eye

Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here. I hope the ER folks can help further

More generally, this is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States, UK, Europe, Australia, Canada (for other countries, check here - Where am I? Where are you!)

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom