audz52

Hatching
Oct 25, 2022
We are new to chicken flocks and might have messed up for being new chicken parents. But about 8 weeks ago my husband and I bought some 'year' old chickens from a questionable place on Craigslist. He said they just started to molt which is why the feathers looked so bad. (which I get).

Here are the questions I am running into. They aren't laying any eggs which is fine but its been awhile so I am slightly concerned.
They have extremely runny poop? and some of them just sleep all day. they are also very sneezy with runny noses.

I have given them Corid, done a dunk on them for mites and such, I clean out the coop about every week and spray it down. (their coats are looking a-lot better)

Am I missing something, what else do I do to make them feel better? Is not laying like that normal?
If we decide to get little baby chickens, will they get contaminated with what ever these adult chickens have?

Sorry your girls aren’t doing so well.
When chickens molt they stop producing eggs. They also slow down or stop production when daylight hours fall short of about 10 hrs or so.
Regarding the watery stool, have you checked for worms? Are they getting up to eat and drink or are they lethargic and remaining in one place? The runny noses sure sounds like some respiratory disease. I will defer to others on that regard. In the meantime try to grab some pics of the birds in question, their poop and your general set up. Your climate, type of feed, water source would be helpful as well.

I am not sure where you are - and this time of year, where I am the days are very short. Mine are still on the roost at 7:30, and when I get home from work, they are already roosted up by 4:30. Is that what you mean by sleeping a lot?

If they are sleeping during the day, are they outside just laying in a sunny spot? if so that is normal. Do they wake up and get active when you come around? That is normal.

Before and during molt, they look terrible, absolutely terrible. The feathers are old and worn out. As they loose the feathers and eventually the new ones come in, they should look like new clothes.

The sneeze and runny noses bothers me, and others will have advice on that.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom