Chicken rant

LCARTER87

Songster
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
This has nothing to do with my girls specifically but I had to rant to other flock lovers like myself. I am laying here in bed and decide to surf craigslist for some hens, I look at a few ads and find two back to back one saying two free chickens and I read and the person say they are two big for their snake to eat so they want them gone now, I see a photo of these two young rir and I instantly feel bad and want them! Then I go on and look at another free post of 3 girls who are 4 years old but have stopped laying and the person writes I don't want them now that they don't lay but don't want to wack them, ugh poor girls!

I had to rant! I couldn't help myself I might have to convince my DH we need a few more additions :D

Email them asking if they like sandwiches. I can give you a recipe called the knuckle sandwich if they do. You should share some with them = D

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with my girls specifically but I had to rant to other flock lovers like myself. I am laying here in bed and decide to surf craigslist for some hens, I look at a few ads and find two back to back one saying two free chickens and I read and the person say they are two big for their snake to eat so they want them gone now, I see a photo of these two young rir and I instantly feel bad and want them! Then I go on and look at another free post of 3 girls who are 4 years old but have stopped laying and the person writes I don't want them now that they don't lay but don't want to wack them, ugh poor girls!

I had to rant! I couldn't help myself I might have to convince my DH we need a few more additions
big_smile.png

I don't have an issue with either of those two ads. Snakes have got to eat too and a lot of people replace their hens once they have slowed down or stopped laying, I do it myself. Some people take them on for bug control and some put them in the freezer - to each his own. At least they were making an effort to find decent homes for them be it pet or otherwise. I can think of a lot worse fates.

At least the sellers were being honest (I hope). Not too many people would admit the hens were spent and no longer useful. Some folks would have just said the hens had a 'little age and no longer lay as much as they used to.'

And unfortunately, chicks are used a snake food, and at least this seller did not simply release the chicks to fend for themselves.

WOW!!!! The things you discover on Craig's List!

Let me tell you, down here, some moron listed kittens he raised for snake food, and he had gotten rid of his snake!!!
somad.gif
Let me tell you, I tried to get a hold of the guy via email, and he told me that there was man wanting them, and it was first come first serve. Well, needless to say, I hadn't heard back from him!!! It makes me so sick!! I realize that snakes have to eat, BUT, come on now!!! He even asked me, how big was my snake??? He also said that if you wanted them as pets, you had to take all 6. I told him I needed them to be barn cats, just a little lie, and that I didn't have a snake. I'm so happy someone flagged him, after I emailed him about getting the kittens.
th.gif

growing up, our local animal control officer used to take unweaned puppies that were turned in and feed them to her snake. When out on a call, she would urge people to turn over the litters to the shelter "before the kids got too attached" I remember because my mom gave her a litter that our dog had.

As for the birds, into the freezer is where hens have gone for generations as soon as they slow down laying. And cows. And pigs. And ducks...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom