Chicken Removed My Contact Lens - Could Have Been My Eye

I had this happen to my 3 year old daughter in September. One of my girls jumped up and got her right in the eye....she had to go to the eye doctor for testing...they wanted to make sure there was no permanent damage done. It was a really long and deep scratch across her cornea. It went from one side of her eye to the other! She almost had to have her eye patched. It was scary..her eye was swollen shut for 2 days.....it was bad. Luckily she was ok and there was no permanent damage done. We always make sure we do not let the chickens near our faces! The Dr joked and said that I needed to get her goggles on the way home...lol. Caution should deffinatly be taken when you are down and close with you chickens....or if you chickens get on your shoulders..watch your eyes!!!!

glad your okay.
smile.png

for goats, mine are pretty well trained. but one time without thinking, i let one out when i got home for work just for a minute to say hi. with ten seconds, he had jumped on top of my hood of the car. it was pretty amazing. like chickens gotta peck, goats gotta jump.

Wow, PC, I'm glad you are ok. One of my turkeys did that to my dd when the turkey was about 3 months. My dd had wiped her face with her hands, leaving some fruit on her face, and the turkey went to eat it, poke in teh eye. scared me to death.
Take care of your eye
Rachel

That's the image I got, eyeball grapes!

Glad you're OK, Purple!

And hey, what's wrong with a snorkle and smim mask anyway? Sounds ideal for when you have to clean the coop, especially if you can't get your hands on a diving suit....
lau.gif

Hey Don,

Glad to hear you're on the mend. I did have a very similar thing happen to me about a month ago with one of my girls that was on my shoulder. I didn't get it as bad as you but it still scared me. Like you I like to cuddle with ladies but now I'm very careful when they're that close to my face.

As a side note...the buffy's are doing fine. I put them out in the lawn in a bottomless box yesterday afternoon so they could scratch and forage. Not too long though cause it was very cold. Today is supposed to be warmer so I hope to get them out again for awhile. I'm nearly finished painting the coop. I've added some roosts so the girls can look out the windows. Today I'm going to pick up a sheet of rigid foam insulation and make the quick box that the girls can huddle together and sleep in. I going to be making storm windows for the coop too but those are a few weeks away....

Thanks again for all your help ! I really like your setup !

Joe

Quote:
Glad to hear your new babies are doing well. Their brothers and sisters are
practically chewing through the brooder cage. Almost time to get them out in
the barn.

When will you move the remaining chicks to the barn ? You don't heat that do you ? Will you keep them separated from the older birds for awhile ? How will you introduce them to the older girls ?

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom