Chicken Respiratory issues

Update on my hen. Things are not looking great. There was not a feed store in my city that sells Tylosin. Pet store didn't have fish mox. I decided to order a antibiotic online that stated it had Tylosin in it. I paid for expedited shipping and it has been 5 days and still no medicine for my girl. Company says that due to the holiday rush, my package is delayed. My hen is extremely lethargic. I am feeding and watering her by dropper. I apply VetRX daily to her head and beneath her wings. I have also been diluting a bit in water and giving it by dropper. No signs of improvement. She is standing with her eyes typically closed and struggling to breathe. I have consulted with an online Vet, but his only recommendation was to give her Tylosin. Her droppings appear to be a chalky white or yellow. She has not eaten any food I place in front of her. I'm at a loss.

It is about 66 degrees here during the day and drops to the low 40s at night. Should i be worried about leaving her outside in her crate at those temps?

Attachments

• 20201206_134620.jpg
    20201206_134620.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201206_134526.jpg
    20201206_134526.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 4
You can get Tylosin here. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/ Call and ask how long to get it. You might then cancel the other order.

Sick hens need extra heat. I just now got through fixing up a bed in the coop for a sick pullet. I made a box and put sand in it, and hung a heat lamp over it. The idea is for the sand to warm, creating heat from below as well as above. It gets below freezing here.

I try to keep my sick or injured chicken patients with their flock so they have that added sense of well being which assists healing.

You can get Tylosin here. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/ Call and ask how long to get it. You might then cancel the other order.

Sick hens need extra heat. I just now got through fixing up a bed in the coop for a sick pullet. I made a box and put sand in it, and hung a heat lamp over it. The idea is for the sand to warm, creating heat from below as well as above. It gets below freezing here.

I try to keep my sick or injured chicken patients with their flock so they have that added sense of well being which assists healing.
[/QUOTE

This is very helpful, thank you. I think she was definitely too cold. I will try to keep her warmer tonight! She just drank a bunch of the water on her own, so I am encouraged!

Hi all and @tmann14 any update on the hen? I have a hen going through a similar thing and want to know if the Tylosin helped. Thank you!
Unfortunately, my lady didn't make it. Tylosin showed up in the mail 3 days after she passed so I didn't even get a chance to try it. I just got another hen starting to shake her head so it looks like I will be going down the same road again. Luckily, I have the Tylosin on hand this time. I put it in her water today and am just hoping so hard that it helps her and that I haven't somehow misdiagnosed her. Hoping your hen fares better than mine.

Unfortunately, my lady didn't make it. Tylosin showed up in the mail 3 days after she passed so I didn't even get a chance to try it. I just got another hen starting to shake her head so it looks like I will be going down the same road again. Luckily, I have the Tylosin on hand this time. I put it in her water today and am just hoping so hard that it helps her and that I haven't somehow misdiagnosed her. Hoping your hen fares better than mine.
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately she did not.

Back
Top Bottom