chicken run off ground?

ernestj

Hatching
Jul 18, 2018
Hello, I live in an area where I get flood irrigation, my entire yard fills with water once every 10 days or so. Can I build my chicken coop and run entirely up in the air? I was basically going to build a chicken coop/run like I have seen most designs, except this one would be 12 inches above the ground and on wheels, with a plywood floor. The chickens wouldn't ever be on the ground, only the plywood in the coop, and in the run, along with whatever floor covering I elect to use. Any thoughts on this?

Then that is probably doable. Just make the coop big enough that they can stay locked up for a couple days at a time. 10 sq. ft. per bird min..

ChickenCanoe is right. I’d build a large coop, preferably walk in, big enough so that the chickens can stay inside when the ground is covered in water. I would say a minimum of 10 sq ft per bird, more if possible considering they will be cooped up for extended periods of time.

I would also add a deck in the run but attached to the coop that would be above the water, so that they could at least go outside before the water soaks in. Maybe half the size of the run? You could put a dust bath on that, with a roof over it to keep it from turning to mud. Also some roost bars or something for them to get on top. Anything to break up the boredom.

Give them bare ground also, though, because they do really like it. Also, a fairly wide ramp going from the deck to the ground, in case they do get down there while it still has water to make it easier for them to get back to the dry area.

Welcome to BYC @ernestj !
What an interesting scenario.

flood irrigation
Your yard gets intentionally flooded for irrigation purposes?
Do you live in the middle of a farm field??

on wheels
How many birds to you intend to keep?
Why must it be on wheels?
Keeping them confined takes more space, larger coop/runs harder to move.

One thing to think about: chickens LOVE to scratch and peck in the dirt, and dust bathing is important for them for grooming and pest reduction purposes. If you could let them out on the non-flood days, it *might* be ok, as long as you had shavings or something they could root around in and a lot of entertainment options.

How deep does the water on the ground get?
I'm assuming there will be no dry ground for a couple days at a time.
I get about 10 inches of water and it stays there until the ground soaks it up. In the summer time it can take as little as a few hours, in the winter time it can take a whole day or longer.

Then that is probably doable. Just make the coop big enough that they can stay locked up for a couple days at a time. 10 sq. ft. per bird min..
I am sorry, but what is doable? Locking the chickens in the coop until the water subsides (as long as it is big enough and has water/food in the coop), or building the entire coop/run off the ground? Thanks for your help.

Doable = able to be done, i.e. you can do it.
Everything. All but one of my buildings are elevated high enough the chickens can go under and escape heat in summer and dustbathe in winter.
Where there is a will, there is a way.
I use deck blocks and 4X4 treated posts.

Back
Top Bottom