Chicken run plans only?

Lilumazuria

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
I have a chicken coop and want to add a larger run, but I'm afraid of building something that won't hold up to snow and wind. I'm not a designer, but I'm pretty good with building structural things. I'm small and not extremely strong so I can't do anything too crazy, though, but I may be able to get some muscle to help me. My issue is I wanted to find some stand-alone chicken run plans that I could use to make my run. I was looking at making a pretty big one at 20'x 8' x 8' stand-alone Lean-to style. Has anyone come across anything like that? I have googled and googled, and really haven't seen anything without a coop plan integrated into it. I thought maybe someone here may have some advice on how to build it.

I converted the pergola run and installed a Suntuf roof recently. The main coop is further back. I suggest making the attempt to invest the money into a strong run to protect the girls from predators and weather. My run is 10' x 19'. A carpenter can help frame one up. The hardware cloth is the biggest pain (so is the ground perimeter - digging rodents).
20220611_124914~2.jpg

My covered run is 28x18x7. It's slanted to one side for rain run off.
It's totally wrapped in hardware cloth and completely predator proof. I have 4x4x8 treated posts buried in the ground. The outside posts are set in concrete. The roof is galvanized steel painted white on both sides in order to reflect heat and to provide shade. It was ordered from a local roofing supply house( 4x8) panels. You need to lay out a diagram for your supports. You may need extra supports for your snow load, which I don't have. The run is also attached to the coop. See my coop for pics.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? If you put your location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice because climate matters. :)

Maybe you could find plans for a horse run-in shed and adapt them?

My DH would build that by planting 4x4 posts at the corners and every 8 feet in between then putting beams across the top and boards to attach wire to along the bottom like he did for my Open Air coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-open-air-coop-in-central-nc.1443812/

Unfortunately, I don't have his knowledge to say what size lumber you'd need for the beams.

Metal roof on purlins is surprisingly easy to work with. We have a DeWalt 20v impact driver and used the self-tapping screws provided by the roofing manufacturer. I have arthritis in my wrists but I can still work with the metal. MUCH easier than plywood sheathing, roofing paper, and shingles.

The correct roof pitch will vary depending on the type of roof you choose and your climate.

I have a chicken coop and want to add a larger run, but I'm afraid of building something that won't hold up to snow and wind. I'm not a designer, but I'm pretty good with building structural things. I'm small and not extremely strong so I can't do anything too crazy, though, but I may be able to get some muscle to help me. My issue is I wanted to find some stand-alone chicken run plans that I could use to make my run. I was looking at making a pretty big one at 20'x 8' x 8' stand-alone Lean-to style. Has anyone come across anything like that? I have googled and googled, and really haven't seen anything without a coop plan integrated into it. I thought maybe someone here may have some advice on how to build it.
Whatever you do, make sure it is predator proof! BYC gems can help you. Make sure you are aware of the predators in your area. I have fort knox, but the moles have come in this year! I think i may start putting away their feed at night but they wake up so much earlier than me. I dunno, no matter how great in size your run, if predators can get in and kill your chickens, well, its all in vain. May your flock thrive always! Good luck! 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom