Chicken run

So, I took everyone's advice and got my husband to lug the heavy bags into the run. After spreading it all out and enjoying the clean sand, I waited for the birds to come and frolic in it. But, they were scared to death to go in that room. I tried to coax them in it, and they'd fly away to the bark room. Those silly birds. I couldn't even catch them... one flew up and landed on my head! I was so disappointed in those silly chickens: 1) they are still afraid of me; and 2) they didn't like the sand! But, eventually, they had to walk in it to get to their interior, warm coop.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Chickens do not like change, but over time they will adapt.

Regarding the cedar shavings, I would stop using them if I was you. The oil and fumes from cedar is bad for poultry lungs for some reason. Best to avoid it. I use grass clippings which are free and smell good. You can do that after your mowing season starts next year. Meanwhile, wood chips from line-clearing crews in your area are one free source of chips. Shredded leaves are ok too. Can do some with your lawnmower any time of year. Also hay is acceptable, but alfalfa should be avoided according to what I have read about hay and chickens.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
gsim, question regarding the wood chips. I know sawdust from a sawmill is a lot finer material than the wood chips from line crews but will it work OK for deep litter in a coop so long as it is dry? I have easy access to infinite amounts of the stuff!

Ron

my chickens gave the sand a funny look at first but now they are fine with it and they love to bathe in it. I love it because it is so easy to keep clean.

susiechick,
Don't forget that in your rainy climate a lot of the dust and finer particles will seep down and wash away. I used arena sand and it was really dusty but after a couple of rains, our quota here in Colorado this year, the dust went away.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom