1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken-safe ant repellant?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by horselover98, Aug 7, 2011.

1. horselover98

horselover98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    Hi, we have been noticing a bunch of ants and ant hills around our yard. We also have free ranging chickens and do not want to use sprays and such if they'll harm our birds. Anyone have any ideas for some safe repellent? Thanks

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Coffee grounds! When I lived in Venezuela, many years ago, we would save our coffee grounds and spread them around the outside of the house. This kept ants from coming inside.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    BOILING WATER!!! Get a good kettle or pot-full and pour it around & on the ant hills! Just be careful that you don't splash it on your legs or feet.

I've also used the 5% Sevin Dust to sprinkle over & around really stubborn populations of ants. It kills the ants and doesn't hurt the chickens, it's the same stuff I use directly on them to rid them of mites. Be sure to sprinkle it low to the ground, so that it doesn't drift over to flowering plants and hurt the beneficial pollinators.

4. horselover98

Dec 19, 2008
    Oooh I will have to try both of those, thanks! the ant hills are just EVERYWHERE and they are so big! I know there are many 'remedies' i am just wondering which ones work the best!

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I use dish soap and water on the mounds works very well here.

6. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Quote:Coffee hurts chickens.

We have had no experience of ants hurting chickens, unless we had a sick hen, I would say just don't worry. [​IMG] By the way the chickens get rid of ant hills. [​IMG]

7. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Stick chickens on the ants. Have you try it? Some of my birds eat them.

8. horselover98

Dec 19, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your replies [​IMG] The ants won't hurt the chickens but ants are kind of a pest for us [​IMG] We will have to just let the chickens get rid of them or we'll try a remedy. [​IMG] thanks again -horselover98

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've used food grade DE. It usually takes a few applications.

10. redjess1984

redjess1984 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    We have fire ants here and they can actually kill a chicken they are horrible !! We have tried everything, boiling water, fire, ant killer and no luck so far. I hope our ants just stay away from our chickens! [​IMG]:barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by