BuddyADucks

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2016
We have had a run of bad luck lately. A fox has been killing off my flock. He killed my rooster and three hens two weeks ago but didn't make off with them. He came back yesterday, when I thought he'd moved on, to kill one of my geese and take off with a hen and a duck. Now I have one chicken left, who btw the fox dropped as he was leaving, as far as I can tell. She was lying in the snow as if she were dead and there were tracks leading away from her. She was bleeding from her beak when I picked her up and in shock but seemed to be moving and clucking in my tub later with no sign of blood so I put in the coup for the night.
Now my ducks and the other goose really don't like her, they never liked the chickens so when I found her roosting by herself this morning away from them I wasn't surprised. But I did notice clear mucus dripping from her beak and she refused to eat or drink and then later in the afternoon I found she hadn't moved and then she still wouldn't drink when I set her beside the water, which was fun since she had a death grip on the roost. That's when I brought her in.
Doesn't seem like a crop issue as far as I can tell but she tends to gasp for air here and there with the mucus filling her beak. I'm not thinking it's a broken rib at this time. She's acts sick or depressed and is pooping a white and yellow liquid with green wormy looking strands which I've read on here is a sign of starvation. She did lay an egg in the tub so she's not egg bound.
I have kept her inside and cleaned the tub when she does poop, which has only been about three times today, so she's not sitting in filth. I've kept a bowl of water and some feed with her, she hasn't touched it but I have tube fed her a watered down concoction of brewers yeast, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, ginger root, turmeric and black pepper. (Left over from when we were sick.)
My first thought as to what was wrong, after depression, was thrush (yeast infection), which is why I figured a big dose of natural probiotics and chose to give her our cold medicine (which I make) and add the yeast, but I don't know as much about chickens as I do about ducks other then they get sick easily.
We are talking to her and I held her until she got antsy so she's not lonely but other then eating up the petting she doesn't seem to care. If I can get her to eat I'd consider putting her in a diaper and letting her walk around the house a little bit but I think right now the tub is the best way to watch the poop.

So now that I've bored you with the details the question is what might be wrong and what do I do? Is there anything I'm doing that could be hurting her more? Is this a stress thing or could it be depression? I know the fox broke the necks of all his kills could she be suffering from some kind complication from a fracture? I know that last one would likely require a vet but I figured I'd through it there.

Thank You for taking the time to help me.

Chickens are fragile and an attack by a predator can inflict internal injuries from mere compression of the jaws on their body, crushing lungs and other internal organs. Puncture wounds can be so discrete you won't readily notice them, but infection can begin immediately.

Your chicken has a better than even chance of not surviving this, but if you want to try an antibiotic, that could at least deal with possible infection. Electrolytes are crucial to treat shock. And it's also critical to keep her hydrated.

She could be seriously injured, or simply be in shock with minor injuries. I hope it's the later category. Have you checked her over for puncture wounds where the fox grabbed her? If there are any, they should be cleaned and flushed out (break the scab if you need to) and then triple antibiotic cream applied.

I would also keep up with the forced feeding to make sure she is hydrated and getting some calories. I might try a more bland and more calorie intensive mixture, however. When my hen was attacked and not eating, I gave her water mixed with a little honey, yogurt and a smudge of nutra-drench the first day, then started adding scrambled eggs and wet mash after that. I would just gently open her beak and place a lump of eggs or mash in her mouth and she would swallow on her own. It took about a week before she showed any interest in food or water, but after 10 days she was eating and drinking normally and back with the flock.

Good luck and keep us posted.

She died late this morning. She started wheezing after I gave her her medicine, sounded like she was snoring really loudly (like my husband) well cute I knew it was only a matter of time don't know if I aspirated her or if the issue had gotten into her lungs. I did notice after inspecting her body that fluid seemed to be caught in her throat so she may have been crushed. So this brings the total to 8 birds this fox has cost me and that means no more eggs until spring.

Back
Top Bottom