Chicken stopped laying and not as friendly?

goodwiab

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Hello,

I have a 5-month-old Japanese bantam who was laying one egg a day consistently. We had a couple encounters with a hawk recently in our yard. At one point the hawk almost got her, but luckily she saw it in time and got to safety. After that she was still laying consistently- even refusing to move off the nest box at one point until I moved her. Since I was worried she was going broody I removed the golf ball that we had in the nest box (in case this was encouraging her to stay there?). About a week ago however she stopped laying, and is now not as friendly at all (she used to jump in my lap and follow me around whenever I was outside, but now she refuses to be held and doesn't come around anymore to me). She's overly cautious about coming out of the run now, so I'm assuming maybe the hawk spooked her again at one point? She's eating and drinking and running about fine, but I worry since she stopped laying. Should there be anything I'm looking for to make sure she's okay or will it just take time? She was absolutely the sweetest one 😔

Hello,

I have a 5-month-old Japanese bantam who was laying one egg a day consistently. We had a couple encounters with a hawk recently in our yard. At one point the hawk almost got her, but luckily she saw it in time and got to safety. After that she was still laying consistently- even refusing to move off the nest box at one point until I moved her. Since I was worried she was going broody I removed the golf ball that we had in the nest box (in case this was encouraging her to stay there?). About a week ago however she stopped laying, and is now not as friendly at all (she used to jump in my lap and follow me around whenever I was outside, but now she refuses to be held and doesn't come around anymore to me). She's overly cautious about coming out of the run now, so I'm assuming maybe the hawk spooked her again at one point? She's eating and drinking and running about fine, but I worry since she stopped laying. Should there be anything I'm looking for to make sure she's okay or will it just take time? She was absolutely the sweetest one 😔
* Since I remove the golf ball she stopped laying... Should I put it back?

Back
Top Bottom