Chicken Stopped Laying

Tylexie

Chirping
Dec 11, 2015
New York
My chickens are 25 weeks old (almost 6 months), and have been laying for about 2 months. About 4 days ago, we realized that one of my chickens (the Araucana) did not lay. She hasn't laid for 4 days now, and I'm worried something might be wrong.

Could she be molting? I thought they couldn't molt until they were about 18 months old. It isn't even fall yet, so it couldn't be a reaction to cold weather or less daylight, right?

I'm worried for her. Please help!

Hens take breaks, very few will lay continuously, it's normal to not get eggs. Some of mine will take most of the summer and winter off. Every hen is different.

Hens take breaks, very few will lay continuously, it's normal to not get eggs. Some of mine will take most of the summer and winter off. Every hen is different.
Ok, thank you. I'm not so worried now.
Some chicken start molting as early as August. Have up noticed a large (ish) amount of feathers around the coop? Is she siting on the nest most of the time?
I have noticed a lot of feathers, now that I look for them, but I'm not sure they're all hers. She is not sitting on the nest most of the time. In fact, I haven't seen her sitting on the nest at all the past 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom