Chicken struggling with balance

I have had a look but don’t think she has the symptoms she has normal looking eyes but she can’t stand at the moment and keeps curling her feet underneath her so possibly leg paralysis?
I had a pullet with the same thing, she couldn’t uncurl her feet or balance...her wings were drooped and her neck was twisted...she wasn’t lethargic and had a good appetite, but she was gasping and seemed in pain so we’ve had to put her down :(

I hope and still think it wasn’t mareks because none of my others are sick, but it can lay dormant for a while...fingers crossed...

I suggested it was Marek's because another one of yours is sick. Have you been near another person's flock recently? Have you been quarantining new birds?

I had a pullet with the same thing, she couldn’t uncurl her feet or balance...her wings were drooped and her neck was twisted...she wasn’t lethargic and had a good appetite, but she was gasping and seemed in pain so we’ve had to put her down :(

I hope and still think it wasn’t mareks because none of my others are sick, but it can lay dormant for a while...fingers crossed...

I suggested it was Marek's because another one of yours is sick. Have you been near another person's flock recently? Have you been quarantining new birds?
Thanks so much.

thanks so much for all the suggestions. We haven’t been near a flock recently or quarantining new birds. Unfortunately the chicken seems to be getting worse (isn’t eating but I have successfully got her to drink a little) and we might end up putting it down. We have taken her out of the box nad at the moment she is just sort of collapsed on the grass in the shade. We will have to keep an eye on the other one too but it actually seems much better now so hopefully it will stay that way. I am praying it isnt Marek‘s and doesnt spread to the other three but the best I can do is hope. It is encouraging that none of yours got it and I am hoping it stays the same way for you. Thank you again for all the suggestions and useful info.

Thanks so much.

thanks so much for all the suggestions. We haven’t been near a flock recently or quarantining new birds. Unfortunately the chicken seems to be getting worse (isn’t eating but I have successfully got her to drink a little) and we might end up putting it down. We have taken her out of the box nad at the moment she is just sort of collapsed on the grass in the shade. We will have to keep an eye on the other one too but it actually seems much better now so hopefully it will stay that way. I am praying it isnt Marek‘s and doesnt spread to the other three but the best I can do is hope. It is encouraging that none of yours got it and I am hoping it stays the same way for you. Thank you again for all the suggestions and useful info.
Goodluck!

I'm sorry to hear about Buttons. It's hard to know what happened with her, but from your description of symptoms and the photo, I would suspect she was suffering from a reproductive disorder. Pertitonitis, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis, internal laying, etc. are sadly common in laying hens. Fatty Liver Syndrome is something else that hens can suffer from and it may also accompany reproductive issues. Unless you send the body to your state lab or perform an informal necropsy yourself, it's speculation on our part.

Now, the other hen that you are concerned about - puffed up, bum low - how hot is it where you are? What do you feed including treats? Has this hen been laying eggs (all normal hard shelled eggs)?
Look her over for lice/mites, check to make sure her crop is empty in the morning before she eats/drinks.
Get a good look at her poop and if possible, collect some samples and have your vet check for worms.

I'm sorry to hear about Buttons. It's hard to know what happened with her, but from your description of symptoms and the photo, I would suspect she was suffering from a reproductive disorder. Pertitonitis, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis, internal laying, etc. are sadly common in laying hens. Fatty Liver Syndrome is something else that hens can suffer from and it may also accompany reproductive issues. Unless you send the body to your state lab or perform an informal necropsy yourself, it's speculation on our part.

Now, the other hen that you are concerned about - puffed up, bum low - how hot is it where you are? What do you feed including treats? Has this hen been laying eggs (all normal hard shelled eggs)?
Look her over for lice/mites, check to make sure her crop is empty in the morning before she eats/drinks.
Get a good look at her poop and if possible, collect some samples and have your vet check for worms.
This is very helpful as we are beginning to doubt it was Mareks after all. We are in English countryside so it isn’t too hot generally. We feed them Layers Pellets from our local riding store everyday and as a treat Mealworms also from our local riding store. We are not sure that she has been laying though. We have been getting 2 out of 4 eggs for the last two years so Buttons wasn’t laying. We are wondering if this is maybe a clue to why she died and now she is dead we are still getting two eggs so quite clearly Deli Ali (the sick chicken) is also not laying. We will check her over for lice or mites and check her crop every morning and see if she improves. Thank you so much for what you and everyone are doing to try and help, our fingers are crossed for Deli Ali and hopefully she makes it.
(if you are wondering, my brother named her after a male footballer from his football team so that explains her name)

This is very helpful as we are beginning to doubt it was Mareks after all. We are in English countryside so it isn’t too hot generally. We feed them Layers Pellets from our local riding store everyday and as a treat Mealworms also from our local riding store. We are not sure that she has been laying though. We have been getting 2 out of 4 eggs for the last two years so Buttons wasn’t laying. We are wondering if this is maybe a clue to why she died and now she is dead we are still getting two eggs so quite clearly Deli Ali (the sick chicken) is also not laying. We will check her over for lice or mites and check her crop every morning and see if she improves. Thank you so much for what you and everyone are doing to try and help, our fingers are crossed for Deli Ali and hopefully she makes it.
(if you are wondering, my brother named her after a male footballer from his football team so that explains her name)
Feel of Deli Ali's abdomen below the vent between the legs for any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid.
I'm sorry she's not feeling well.

Sorry for not updating sooner but unfortunately we lost Deli Ali on the twenty seventh of Jul. Thanks so much for all advice given to us. The other two are doing fine so we don’t think that they were affected by the disease. We still don’t know what caused either of our chickens deaths but have decided against it being Mareks. Thanks again everyone

Back
Top Bottom