Chicken stumbles backwards

oceansunset73

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
California
My mother in law has an 8 week old Golden Sexlink pullet.

As of yesterday we noticed her legs are very wobbly, she keeps stumbling backwards when she's walking, and she sits down a lot. She has already been vaccinated for Mareks. She is still trying to be active; does not appear sick and she is still eating and drinking like normal. Her stools are normal as well.

We started giving her Nutri Drench this morning. Is there anything else we can do? What could be causing this?

Make sure that she is getting plenty to drink and is not suffering from dehydration. The NutriDrench is good 1 ml for each 3 pounds of weight. Does she act lethargic or seem puffed up or hunched? I would watch her poops for runny or bloody ones, and think about treating her for coccidiosis with Corid or amprollium.

Make sure that she is getting plenty to drink and is not suffering from dehydration. The NutriDrench is good 1 ml for each 3 pounds of weight. Does she act lethargic or seem puffed up or hunched? I would watch her poops for runny or bloody ones, and think about treating her for coccidiosis with Corid or amprollium.

Thank you.

She is still drinking like normal. She is not acting lethargic, nor is she puffed up or hunched. Other than the stumbling, she appears normal.

She was vacinated against Mareks prior to my mother in law receiving her. Then she was given medicated chick starter until she was about a month old, now she is on regular chick starter.

So far her stools are normal, but will keep an eye out for any changes...

Poultry NutriDrench does not have B2 riboflavin, which can be important in leg health. Most other chick vitamins have it, just check labels. B Complex tablets for humans is a good source, 1/4 tablet daily crushed into food. Brand does not matter. But the Poultry NutriDrench is good for electrolytes and vitamins, except for riboflavin. Riboflavin deficiency can cause walking or sitting on hocks, and curled under toes.
upload_2019-6-23_22-19-5.jpeg

Poultry NutriDrench does not have B2 riboflavin, which can be important in leg health. Most other chick vitamins have it, just check labels. B Complex tablets for humans is a good source, 1/4 tablet daily crushed into food. Brand does not matter. But the Poultry NutriDrench is good for electrolytes and vitamins, except for riboflavin. Riboflavin deficiency can cause walking or sitting on hocks, and curled under toes.
View attachment 1823118

Thank you so much, I will let her know. I truly appreciate your assistance and will give an update on her in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom