Chicken suddenly laying in poo under roost

Zoomum

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Good morning, if this has been discussed I apologise. Most posts seem to refer to multiple hens. I have 2 ISA brown hens who gave me their first eggs on 1July 2021. They have both been using the nest box quite happily until a couple of days ago when one has suddenly decided to lay on the fresh poo under the roost. She seems to lay quite early as by the time we get down there to let them out, the egg has become stuck to the poo and cracks when removed. I have tried removing the lid in case they were arguing over access but it didn’t help. Shavings changed yesterday and checked and fluffed daily. Clean hen house made no difference either as she lays on top of what they pooped the night before. When we lock them in at night they are both sitting on the roost coping happily. It’s driving me crazy. As it’s the end of winter I’m not keen to go down and brave the cold to stake it out and watch although they probably wouldn’t lay if I went down, they rush out to say hello. Help please it’s driving me crazy and wasting eggs. I’ve attached a photo of their humble abode showing the nest box in the corner sitting on a couple of bricks. They roost on the top rung which is a piece of 2”x4” timber.
Stay safe 🙂

Attachments

• F91B61B4-22DA-4815-B656-B37924DEDC86.jpeg
    F91B61B4-22DA-4815-B656-B37924DEDC86.jpeg
    741.3 KB · Views: 38
Good morning, if this has been discussed I apologise. Most posts seem to refer to multiple hens. I have 2 ISA brown hens who gave me their first eggs on 1July 2021. They have both been using the nest box quite happily until a couple of days ago when one has suddenly decided to lay on the fresh poo under the roost. She seems to lay quite early as by the time we get down there to let them out, the egg has become stuck to the poo and cracks when removed. I have tried removing the lid in case they were arguing over access but it didn’t help. Shavings changed yesterday and checked and fluffed daily. Clean hen house made no difference either as she lays on top of what they pooped the night before. When we lock them in at night they are both sitting on the roost coping happily. It’s driving me crazy. As it’s the end of winter I’m not keen to go down and brave the cold to stake it out and watch although they probably wouldn’t lay if I went down, they rush out to say hello. Help please it’s driving me crazy and wasting eggs. I’ve attached a photo of their humble abode showing the nest box in the corner sitting on a couple of bricks. They roost on the top rung which is a piece of 2”x4” timber.
Stay safe 🙂
Do you have fake eggs in the nesting box? I like to use hay or straw (they prefer it). Chickens like privacy.

Do you have fake eggs in the nesting box? I like to use hay or straw (they prefer it). Chickens like privacy.
No I don’t have fake eggs in. I’ve never needed them They’ve both been using the box quite happily until the other day. I’m going to buy fresh shavings this afternoon and will give the next box a good wash out and also clean out the hen house (again) and treat it all with DE in case of bugs etc. I have a fake egg somewhere but no idea where’s

No I don’t have fake eggs in. I’ve never needed them They’ve both been using the box quite happily until the other day. I’m going to buy fresh shavings this afternoon and will give the next box a good wash out and also clean out the hen house (again) and treat it all with DE in case of bugs etc. I have a fake egg somewhere but no idea where’s
i've also heard of people using golf balls to simulate eggs, in case you can't find the fake egg. i hope everything works out for you and your hens!

Are the under roost eggs only appearing when you check first thing in the morning? If so, she may not be laying them there deliberately, but rather pushing them out at night while she's on the roost. The best evidence is not only are they appearing overnight, but they're being dropped right on top of the poop from overnight as well.

Your layers are still pretty young so this may be part of the glitchiness they go through while younger. It can happen from time to time even with established layers. Surprisingly, when I get eggs dropped off the roost, most of mine stay intact and edible even after a 40" drop.

If this continues on for more than just a few days, and you have electricity in there, you could try putting in a timed light so she can see to get off the roost and into a nest box a few hours earlier in the morning.

Are the under roost eggs only appearing when you check first thing in the morning? If so, she may not be laying them there deliberately, but rather pushing them out at night while she's on the roost. The best evidence is not only are they appearing overnight, but they're being dropped right on top of the poop from overnight as well.

Your layers are still pretty young so this may be part of the glitchiness they go through while younger. It can happen from time to time even with established layers. Surprisingly, when I get eggs dropped off the roost, most of mine stay intact and edible even after a 40" drop.

If this continues on for more than just a few days, and you have electricity in there, you could try putting in a timed light so she can see to get off the roost and into a nest box a few hours earlier in the morning.
Thanks for that. Unfortunately there’s no light or power. As we’re in Brisbane, Australia, it’s almost the end of winter so the days are getting longer. Fingers crossed this will aid her if that’s what’s happening. Sunrise tomorrow is at 0615 so we’ll see. (I’m not getting up that early 🥴, not a morning person) I washed out their nest box, cleaned hen house and gave the floor and roosts a good dusting of diatomaceous earth this afternoon so the taj machook looks and smells gorgeous. Fingers crossed. Thanks and stay safe

Well, another morning, another egg on a pile of poo. Unfortunately this egg has a crack as well so my German Shepherd will enjoy her dinner again, she really likes raw egg. If it keeps up I’ll look into getting a light down there and program it to turn on early. Might put a net under the roost 😂😂😂

If the shells are good quality on the cracked eggs, might try putting a thicker amount of bedding under the roost, just so you can try and salvage some of them. Doesn't solve the issue of her laying off the roost but might as well get a few usable eggs out of it in the meantime.

Stay safe 🙂
Do you only have the 1 nest box? Theoretically that should be enough for 2 hens but it is possible the more dominant hen is denying access to the nesting box. The poor girl can only hold her egg so long. I sometimes get random eggs dropped round the run if there are nest disputes. I think I'd add an extra nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom