Chicken suddenly laying in poo under roost

I agree, add another nest box. And at least 4 inches of shavings to the coop floor to create a deep litter. You only have to clean it out 2 or 3 times a year, it provides insulation from the cold, padding for their feet when they jump down off the roosts to prevent bumblefoot, and helps to dry out poop to prevent respiratory problems.

If the shells are good quality on the cracked eggs, might try putting a thicker amount of bedding under the roost, just so you can try and salvage some of them. Doesn't solve the issue of her laying off the roost but might as well get a few usable eggs out of it in the meantime.
I had thought about that. Husband went down this morning to let them out and both eggs were in nest box. Yay, fingers crossed she’s got her act together again and no more broken eggs. Unfortunately all of the ones under the roost were cracked. Yesterday’s egg had a small hole in one end with a spiderweb of cracks radiating from it. It looked like it may have landed on its end. I don’t know - dumb chooks. Sweet but a problem 😂

I agree, add another nest box. And at least 4 inches of shavings to the coop floor to create a deep litter. You only have to clean it out 2 or 3 times a year, it provides insulation from the cold, padding for their feet when they jump down off the roosts to prevent bumblefoot, and helps to dry out poop to prevent respiratory problems.
Concrete floor

yes exactly. They need cushioning, plus it's less work with deep litter, plus healthier for them.

Not deep composting, deep litter. A nice 4 to 6 inches of shavings, not a mere dusting that you have to sweep out every day.
"Deep litter" on here generally refers to s a composting system, so the dry non composting equivalent is deep bedding, which would be the better choice here.

Even sand would be an option as long as it's kept dry. Not as "soft" but it still provides some amount of cushion, and poop can be sifted out of it.

Well, here we are, weeks later and more frustrated. I’ve added more litter to the floor for their feet for starters. Added a second nest box, exactly the same as the other one and mixed up the tops and bottoms to even out the ‘new’ smell and she’s still laying on top of the night before’s poop on the floor under the roost which is opposite the nest boxes. Tried putting nest box under roost where she’s laying and they shuffled to the other end of the roost so it wasn’t under them, then she laid next to it on the new pile of poop. So, that didn’t work, nest box back over next to old one. Then put space between the 2 boxes, nope. I’ve realised the the one laying in the box is using the box in the corner so I have now tasked husband the job of working out some way of mounting the other nest box above the one in the corner. As the chook house is a converted aviary it’s not big enough to put a box in each corner. It’s driving me absolutely crazy 😜 out of ideas and frustrated

do you think she is laying from the roost, I.e. it is dropping onto the floor, or is she sitting on the floor and laying normally?

Back
Top Bottom