Chicken taking to long to grow her feathers back!!!

OMG! I am surprised any of your chickens are even alive, much less laying eggs.
hmm.png

Those scratch grains are like candy bars for chickens, really tasty but zero nutrients. This happens a lot, it's one reason I always ask what's being fed. So you aren't the first.

It is imperative you change feed immediately!
old.gif
From what I've seen, scratch isn't that much cheaper than other feed. But at this point, the life of your whole flock depends on it. They have probably been getting lots of stuff from your land, but that can change seasonally. And isn't usually enough to sustain large birds. Some smaller breeds do better than other on range alone, but the scratch might be making the nutrients they are getting diminished.....

And oyster shell is the only extra ingredient in layer but with the trade off of less protein. There is some calcium on pasture but each egg is about 2% calcium by weight. And so your hens will use the calcium needed for their own bones to make egg shells if they don't have a supply of it. They need it! It comes in 50# bags, don't buy the small one with your size flock especially. And don't mix it in the feed, provide it on the side and they will take what they need.

If you bring Mary in to quarantine, you may need to bring her a bowl of dirt. Because they use small bits of gravel to grind the food for digestion.

I urge you to pursue this matter today. And thank you for asking! I promise my info is valid and will make a difference in the life of your chicken no matter which feed you choose. Do not buy scratch again (please) at least until your flock is well on their way. And then, it should never be more than 10% of their total daily ration. Which has been described as 1 -2 teaspoons.
smile.png

Thank you so much, I'll go and see if I can buy them new food today. Mary is looking a little better now that I gave her some warm oatmeal but she's still cold, but looking better. I'll ask you any questions I have if something happens or concerns about my Mary or my other chickens. Thank you so much once again.

I found the feed yesterday and I bought it right away and gave some to Mary, and my other chickens. Mary has been sleeping inside the house, I take her out to let her walk around and put her back inside the house.

I took pictures of Mary but forgot to post them, sadly my chicken Mary was bit by a dog. I am waiting for someone to take me to the vet cause her injures are very very bad.

I wasn't able to go to the vet today because of the weather that we are having (snow/rain). I don't know what to do or give her.

I wasn't able to go to the vet today because of the weather that we are having (snow/rain). I don't know what to do or give her.
Can you post on an emergency thread?

She probably needs to be separated from the rest of the flock and given food and water and rest, unless she is able to get around normal. If it's been recent, she may still be in shock and not ready to eat or drink.

Chickens can be very hardy. Was it a bite or an attack?

I meant to put attack, she got attacked by a big husky. And yes I just posted on the emergency thread and a picture of one of her wounds. I took her out of the chicken coop and put her inside the house and now she's resting.

Back
Top Bottom