Chicken that's too tame. I'm scared of it.

heksa

Songster
9 Years
Jun 21, 2010
Indiana
One of our 16 weeks old chickens is very tame …. we loved it at first. It will jump on your arm when asked, let you pick her up etc. But it came to the point that I am becoming scared of it. This chicken has no fear whatsoever! When I’m trying to weed the flower bed, it’s right next to me pecking on my hand. When I’m squatting and feeding our new chicks, it comes and peck me on my back. Even when I try to push it away with my foot … it charges back at me!!! I’m literally scared of it sometimes!

What am I suppose to do? Is there a way to teach it some respect?

Last edited:
It all comes back to pecking order...your bird is saying he/she is #1, and you're allowing it to be! Think about it, you do outweigh it by several pounds, inches, etc. Take charge. At 16 weeks, it's almost full grown, but you can still teach it that you are in control. "Peck" back at it, give it a shove away from your personal space, pick it up and carry it around and only allow it down when you, the alpha "bird" say it is ok to get down. A few episodes showing that you are the top bird should put it in it's place. Good luck!

It all comes back to pecking order...your bird is saying he/she is #1, and you're allowing it to be! Think about it, you do outweigh it by several pounds, inches, etc. Take charge. At 16 weeks, it's almost full grown, but you can still teach it that you are in control. "Peck" back at it, give it a shove away from your personal space, pick it up and carry it around and only allow it down when you, the alpha "bird" say it is ok to get down. A few episodes showing that you are the top bird should put it in it's place. Good luck!

Great way to put it ^​

Thanks guys, I guess I will have to be more asertive myself.

I'm pretty sure it's a hen. Hasn't layed an egg yet, but it's squating at me (spreads its wings and all), so at least it thinks I am a rooster. ;-)

Haven't pecked it yet, will have to try that. So far I was closer to taking off running then giving back a peck. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom