Chicken top of head scalped, feathers plucked, guinea attack.

Jward99

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 20, 2014
Idaho
So one of my guineas, (Shaka Zulu, ha) saw one of my chickens (Pearl) trapped in a fence. I'm not sure what got into him but he just attacked her, and pecked off skin on the top of her head and plucked feathers down the back of her neck. She was trapped between the fence in the chicken run and was freaking out with her head through the fence so I think that's what triggered it. I know, people would think to just kill Pearl but she's one of our favorites so we're gonna see if she can survive this. She is being seperated from the rest of the chickens/guineas and sleeping in a kennel in my room until she's better. But we're taking Shaka Zulu out this weekend, this isnt the first time he's started crap. Anyone have ideas on how I could help Pearl's odds of surviving this? She's acting really casual. She drinks, eats, and we gave her 75% of an aspirin tucked inside a raisin. Thanks.

Its not as bad as I expected from the title ( which is good, I was expecting a hopeless case) Im not sure about the asprin thing, most people say that there are only certain painkillers that they can have but I cant remember which it is. I would trim away her remaining head / neck feathers from around the wound, this will help to keep them from sticking to the wound. next gently clean it with saline solution or warm water and salt. then use an antiseptic powder/ spray such as wound powder or blu kote and then some antibiotic ointment. if it starts looking infected then you could get some antibiotic powder that you mix with water, such as tetracycline. You will need to keep her separated until she heals completely or they will re peck at her. Washing/ cleaning the wound once a day will be needed, and some good feed to help the healing process

Back
Top Bottom