Chicken Tractor - Construction Started - Pictures added

I love your plans. In my humble opinion, chicken tractors have open bottoms except for the coop or nesting section.

What about predators digging under and getting in the coop that way? I am all for leaving it open if I can keep them safe. I can leave the entire bottom open and add wire later...I just hate for later to cost me some hens.

What if you had a panel separating your the open part of your run (like a wire guillotine) and when you're home that panel would be up, and when you're away the chickens would just have access to the wire bottom part?

Or...critters don't like to dig under if there is 18" of fencing going out along the ground...could you run some straight out at the bottom? The nice thing about some sort of outrigger is that it would be really hard to tip over.

I swear I'm not trying to be a pain I really do appreciate all the help. With my work schedule that would mean they would either get a 4x4 area for over 24hrs or be exposed to potential predators for over 24hrs. I understand there is a line where what is perfect for them meets what is realistic for me.

LOL I can see myself busting my butt tripping on all that fencing sticking out.

Not at all, it's hard to find a solution that's perfect for every one. One thing that works really well for us is a tractor for them to be out and about when we're home, and a big run for when we're out during the day. Maybe you could do the reverse, have a tractor/coop as their main residence and a bigger area for them to run around when you're home.

Our gang bursts out the door every morning, they fly and jump and chase each other for about 15 minutes. Then they're ready to hop into their tractor and go to "work" We built them an A frame run out of salvaged lumber. I'll post a picture in case it might help you. I'll keep my thinking cap on
smile.png
Best wishes!

82285_run1.jpg

I think I'll start with having the wire on the floor. Then maybe after a few months if I stop seeing signs of predators I'll try taking it off.....I just don't want to FEED the coons and stray dogs LOL.

I'm limited on space....which is why I was going for the tractor idea....I'll keep thinking and maybe I can come up with something while building.

Does it have to be a tractor? I started with a tractor, and very quickly changed to a small coop and run all enclosed. See my page to see what I have built. I do let the girls out to free range when I am home. I do not need to lock them in the house at night because the run part is secure. Every few weeks I dig some of the soil/compost out of the run and slowly replace it with grass clippings, sand, dried leaves etc.

Ok, with your requirements, here are my suggestions.

The wire on the bottom: Put it on top of the bottom frame. If it is on the ground it will make it harder to move and the chickens will still tear up the grass.

Enclose the back 2 or 3 feet. You don't want them sleeping in the nest boxes. Add a roost, higher than the nest boxes.

You can use the corrugated PVC panels for the walls, or they have plastic sign board. It looks like cardboard but it is plastic. I would go to a sign shop and see if they have any mistakes. It is waterproof, bug proof and lightweight.

I would hinge the whole roof for easy access for cleaning. Also put wire under the roof and wall panels.

Add wheels at least on 1 end. An old lawnmower handle makes a great handle to pull it around!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom