Chicken tractor for 4 bantams?

Halkatla

Chirping
5 Years
:frow I'm planning to build a chicken tractor for 4 to 5 bantam orpingtons. What would be a good size?

I have limited space in my garden (its 50 square meters total), and Id like a tractor/coop thats light enough to move around, so I cant have a very big one (The chickens will be in the tractor during work hours and at night, but in the evenings/when Im home I'll let them roam the garden.)

Well..... what kind of predators do you have in your area?

If the garden fence will keep out dogs then the tractor doesn't have to be quite as stout (and heavy)...so easier to move!

Also... does it have to be cute? Cute usually equals wood, which is heavier than PVC or other plastic pipe.

Plastic pipe is very light and so is a good framework for a light tractor. Look up hoop coops.

Well..... what kind of predators do you have in your area?

If the garden fence will keep out dogs then the tractor doesn't have to be quite as stout (and heavy)...so easier to move!

Also... does it have to be cute? Cute usually equals wood, which is heavier than PVC or other plastic pipe.

Plastic pipe is very light and so is a good framework for a light tractor. Look up hoop coops.

There arent a lot of predators here, no stray dogs or anything.. maybe the occasional house cat, and possibly foxes. I am planning to fence off the garden, and our house is in a pretty densely populated neighborhood, so I doubt there will be a lot of wildlife roaming around. Should be quite safe!

However, our neighborhood is very new and "proper" looking, and our nearest neighbor is just a few meters away from our garden, so Im afraid our coop will have to look somewhat representable. :) The neater things look the lower are the chances of getting complaints. "Backyard" chickens arent really a thing here in Norway - yet. :oops:

To small and really not a home for Chickens. What happens during winter?

Thats why Im asking about the size - because I dont want it "too small". :)

Ive seen some decent sized(?) ones online that are moveable because they have wheels attached at the back.

Something like this

chicken-tractor-for-sale-6.jpg

Should be fine in winter as long as its big enough inside and not drafty?? Our winters here arent very harsh.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 5
Thats why Im asking about the size - because I dont want it "too small". :)

Ive seen some decent sized(?) ones online that are moveable because they have wheels attached at the back.

Something like this

chicken-tractor-for-sale-6.jpg

Should be fine in winter as long as its big enough inside and not drafty?? Our winters here arent very harsh.
That definitely isn't a proper pen for Chickens. Maybe two could stand it in that pen...

Back
Top Bottom