Chicken tractor Wire floor?

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
I built a couple chicken tractors, with attached coop, these are portable.
I am going to use welded wire for the top & sides, but trying to decide what is best for the floor.
I was thinking of something plastic coated..are the openings for plastic coated chicken wire to large for the chickens to walk on?
Possibly plastic coated welded wire?

For my chicken tractors, I made them 8' x 4' and used a heavy duty staple gun to staple metal chicken wire around the sides and top of the coop and left the bottom of the coop open completely for full access to the grass. I move them daily so they have fresh grass, bugs and weeds every day.

Last edited:
My chicken tractor also has an open floor; it's hard enough to move as it is, and heard that adding a wire floor was worse, both because of the weight, and damage to little chicken feet.

Maybe I should clarify. I have a roost/laying area inside my tractor. This is what has the metal floor, which is about 18" off the ground. I can close an internal door so that I can pick all the chickens up and move them long distances without worrying about them crawling underneath when I lift it up.

For my chicken tractors, I made them 8' x 4' and used a heavy duty staple gun to staple metal chicken wire around the sides and top of the coop and left the bottom of the coop open completely for full access to the grass. I move them daily so they have fresh grass, bugs and weeds every day.

Well I was originally thinking the floor should be completly open, but others has put a wire floor to prevent any unwanted critters from
digging & climbing underneath. I think I'll start out without a wire floor, and see how that works out.

Back
Top Bottom