Chicken trance?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gabby3535, May 18, 2009.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard that chickens can sometimes be in a 'trance' when they are sleeping?
    Anyone else ever hear of a chicken trance?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Sounds more like my hens when they`re broody

3. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Yep. When it's dark out they kind of get comatose. I have a couple of ee's that hate to be touched/held during the day but if I go our at dark to check on them they let me pick them up to put them in their house.

4. Young MacDonald

Young MacDonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Wow, I get to share the cool information from my daughter's book again. -- I bought my 8 year-old a book for children, a kid's guide to raising chickens.

It says you can hypnotize chickens by laying them on their back and stroking their breasts. They will fall into a trance and won't awake for several minutes.

Here's a website about it:
    http://www.mindpowernews.com/HypnotizeChicken.htm

5. ChickenNoodle

ChickenNoodle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    I will have to try this so I can get the pinless peeper on my bully hen.

6. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    Pin their backs to the ground for a few seconds and they relax. My more docile chickens I can lean their backs against my chest and they relax.

7. tallulahsmum1

tallulahsmum1 New Egg

Jun 1, 2013
    Hi,I have an indoor chook.....a gold laced Wyandot and she goes into a trance like state when she is eating a variety of different foods from my hand. I find that grapes,sugarsnap peas and anything that she maybe hasn't eaten before will do it. She will have an initial peck and then her eyes just glaze over whilst she remains still for anything up to a minute or so,between bites!!!!! Begs regards Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by