Chicken unresponsive!! Please help!

PatrickSheehan

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
Hi, my chicken was in the nest box all day which was very unusual. This evening when I went to check her to see if her vent had anything abnormal (maybe egg bound or something I thought) she became aggitated and fell out of the box about a foot to the box below. She struggled a bit as I got hold of her then went completely limp and hasn't moved at all since then. She might be breathing shallowly or I might be imagining it, she might be looking at me weakly when I open her mouth or eyelid. She has a bright forest green discharge on the feathers near her vent but not in the vent itself, and she is drooling a brownish-grey mucus. Tried to give her water and breath some air into her lungs but didn't seem to have any effect.

Local vets/hospitals have been unhelpful. Can you all offer any good advice??? Please help.

(We currently have her on a towel in a box under a heat lamp.)

Mostly nevermind. Bird seems dead now. Much stiffer than before.

Anyone know what might've killed her so fast? She seemed just fine yesterday...

Mostly nevermind. Bird seems dead now. Much stiffer than before.

Anyone know what might've killed her so fast? She seemed just fine yesterday...
Im sorry but I dont know. Cocciodosis (sp?) maybe? That can get them pretty fast. But I dont think they would have the stuff coming out the vent ..

I am sorry you lost your bird and I wish I could give you a definitive answer. The sad fact is that too often chickens just die and we don't know why because the list of possibilities is too long. Unless they die from something obvious a necrospy is often the only way to know exactly what the culprit was.

Back
Top Bottom