Chicken vent in distress

Ginger78

Chirping
Aug 20, 2019
My girl Sally is having an issue that I have not experienced. I have had chickens over 6 years and she is only 4. I thought she was egg bound because she was lethargic and docile, walking funny, usually she is very active. She had a poopy butt so I put her in an Epson salt bath. She didn't mind it but her butt was still too crusty. I gave her two more baths and applied oil to help loosen the feathers so i could take a look. I was able to get it clean and found her vent to either be prolapsed or infected. I ordered an antifungal spray but welcome any info as I love her dearly. Please help! BTW we are at 48 hours, she is still drinking (probiotics in her water), a loss if appetite and a red comb.

Attachments

• IMG_1701.jpg
    IMG_1701.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 60
Is the enlarged rounded vent the size of an egg, or does it involve the whole belly? If it is the whole belly looking tight and full, it maybe ascites. But if it is smaller and just the vent, it may be a stuck egg. Have you given any human calcium with vitamin D or a Tums orally? That can help pass an egg by increasing the muscle contractions. You can try lubricating the vent opening with oil or vaseline to try and get an egg out. If the whole abdomen is tight and enlarged with fluid, the fluid can be withdrawn with an 18 gauge needle and a syringe.

Is the enlarged rounded vent the size of an egg, or does it involve the whole belly? If it is the whole belly looking tight and full, it maybe ascites. But if it is smaller and just the vent, it may be a stuck egg. Have you given any human calcium with vitamin D or a Tums orally? That can help pass an egg by increasing the muscle contractions. You can try lubricating the vent opening with oil or vaseline to try and get an egg out. If the whole abdomen is tight and enlarged with fluid, the fluid can be withdrawn with an 18 gauge needle and a syringe.
Thank you for your help. It is big, like the size of a belly. I gave her two tums already cause I thought she was egg bound. I lubricated the vent opening as well and gave her three baths. I am nervous to try the syringe but I will research ascites now. I have not heard of it.

In the thread above on ascites, it shows pictures of where the needle is inserted. Draining a hen with ascites can be done by you or a vet. It is not without risk. Infection and death have occurred. I have done this only for one of my hens. She was drained 3 times over 2 weeks, but died soon after. There is a reason for ascites (water belly.) Internal laying, cancer, and fatty liver disease are some causes. It is only a temporary treatment of a fatal condition. Here is a video of draining a hen:

Do you have any experience with fungal infections? I was thinking that could be what it is.

Back
Top Bottom