Chicken vent red and swollen, and yellowish inside. Stinks!

I can’t see the picture for some reason.
I enlarged this one from your first post in this thread:

1640217011513.png

Capillaria (threadworms/hairworms) cause inflammation of the mucosa, hemorrhage and erosion of the intestinal lining.

This often leads to death in young chicks and also adults. Do you have a Deep Litter System in your coop?

https://extension.unh.edu/sites/default/files/migrated_unmanaged_files/Resource007786_Rep11398.pdf
I just started one in their little greenhouse coop. The first layer of leaves is down, and I plan on continuing the deep litter. They also have a run they go in, that has wood chips and leaves, though not as thickly. They were on pasture this Spring and Summer, when the problems first started. But I was re-using pasture after only 4-6 weeks of rest, and it caused problems. They have had to be wormed 2 or 3 times. But not since late summer. I use safeguard as a wormer. Would it be safe to try using it again? Or should I use a different one this time?

I can see the picture now. 🙂 Thank you.

I just started one in their little greenhouse coop. The first layer of leaves is down, and I plan on continuing the deep litter. They also have a run they go in, that has wood chips and leaves, though not as thickly. They were on pasture this Spring and Summer, when the problems first started. But I was re-using pasture after only 4-6 weeks of rest, and it caused problems. They have had to be wormed 2 or 3 times. But not since late summer. I use safeguard as a wormer. Would it be safe to try using it again? Or should I use a different one this time?

"Capillaria are a common problem of deep bedding houses; heavy
infestations result in reduced growth, reduced egg production and
reduced fertility. If present in large numbers thread worms can be
seen during necropsy; ..."

This is a citation from the link I provided above.

Regarding the dewormer, I would rather alternate between those available in your country as otherwise parasites often will be able to build resistance to the active ingredient.

"Capillaria are a common problem of deep bedding houses; heavy
infestations result in reduced growth, reduced egg production and
reduced fertility. If present in large numbers thread worms can be
seen during necropsy; ..."

This is a citation from the link I provided above.

Regarding the dewormer, I would rather alternate between those available in your country as otherwise parasites often will be able to build resistance to the active ingredient.
That’s a shame… I have to do the deep bedding method. When I didn’t do that, they all got mycoplasma gallisepticum from a muddy poopy mess of a pen. I’ve still got a young one trying to fight it off, she’s inside too.

Good to know that’s a common problem to watch for, though. I’ll try what I have, safeguard, and see what that does. Then I’ll try a different kind afterwards. I’ll need to de-worm the whole flock again anyway.

How soon do you think I’ll see positive results if that’s causing the issues?

That’s a shame… I have to do the deep bedding method. When I didn’t do that, they all got mycoplasma gallisepticum from a muddy poopy mess of a pen. I’ve still got a young one trying to fight it off, she’s inside too.

Good to know that’s a common problem to watch for, though. I’ll try what I have, safeguard, and see what that does. Then I’ll try a different kind afterwards. I’ll need to de-worm the whole flock again anyway.

How soon do you think I’ll see positive results if that’s causing the issues?
In your case I would use a dewormer that will not kill the parasites all at once, as this can lead to congestion of the digestive tract and/or death of the treated chicken(s) due to toxins that are emitted by the dying worms (in case the wormload is too big).

After deworming the worms will be expelled over the next few days, but the damaged mucosa will need much longer to heal, if possible at all.
Sometimes the damage is too severe and we do not know if this is actually the primary cause of her condition or merely adding to it.

In your case I would use a dewormer that will not kill the parasites all at once, as this can lead to congestion of the digestive tract and/or death of the treated chicken(s) due to toxins that are emitted by the dying worms (in case the wormload is too big).

After deworming the worms will be expelled over the next few days, but the damaged mucosa will need much longer to heal, if possible at all.
Sometimes the damage is too severe and we do not know if this is actually the primary cause of her condition or merely adding to it.
Right… thank you. I will make sure to get a wormer that isn’t too strong. I will see what this does… but I might go ahead and put her down anyway. It wouldn’t be good to extend her suffering when I'm not even sure she’ll get well.

Right… thank you. I will make sure to get a wormer that isn’t too strong. I will see what this does… but I might go ahead and put her down anyway. It wouldn’t be good to extend her suffering when I'm not even sure she’ll get well.
Yes, that is what I would do too, it is going on for quite a while already and she seems to decline despite all your efforts.

In this poop picture there appear to be capillaria worms. When did you last deworm her?

View attachment 2936929
Those arnt worms, it is some type of debris. Capillary worms are too small to be seen in poultry feces.
Additionally, the only poultry worms that could cause a blockage and toxicity would be an overload of large roundworms and possibly tapeworms.
From the Vet Parasitology Manual:
004.JPG
001.JPG

Those arnt worms, it is some type of debris. Capillary worms are too small to be seen in poultry feces.
Additionally, the only poultry worms that could cause a blockage and toxicity would be an overload of large roundworms and possibly tapeworms.
From the Vet Parasitology Manual:
View attachment 2937115
View attachment 2937116
Well, years ago I had some die of it , having seen Capillaria in their feces before.
The Veterinary Poultry Institute Hannover ( https://www.tiho-hannover.de/kliniken-institute/kliniken/klinik-fuer-gefluegel/ ) I sent their bodies to for a necropsy stated that same fact in their final results.
Ever since I even deworm the young ones on a regular basis with very good results.

Back
Top Bottom