Chicken Walking funny, but still laying

terilyn80

Hatching
Aug 21, 2015
I need some help please! I have a 9 month old Jersey Giant that has started to walk funny, squatted low to the ground, almost like she is crawling if she had knees. It's been over a week. She is still laying an egg a day, so I don't think it is egg binding. I have tried to examine her, but don't really know what I am looking for. If she gets excited (for treat, or something else) she will walk fine to it then start to get crouched again. She eats, drinks and poops normal. Anything else I should be looking at?

Does it seem like it is her legs are weak? If yes, think about some B vitamins, added to the water. Chickens can have leg issues if they are vitamin deficient. She sounds normal otherwise right?

She seems perfectly normal otherwise. She hasn't lost weight, still eats fine and lays eggs. I will try the vitamin B supplements, Thank you!

Just to follow up, I ended up taking her to the vet. Her diagnosis is that she is fat. which is good news I guess. Has anyone else had experience with overweight chickens? I am supposed to only give her a controlled amount of food 2x per day. Which will be challenging with the other flock members, but I will try.

Another question, how does everyone else feed their flock? Do you leave food out so they can eat at will, or are you feeding them twice a day? Just trying to figure this out as the other chickens do not need to have an issue with the food.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom