Chicken walking/running backwards..... related to molt?

theacw

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
MN
I have a 2-3 year old EE hen that just went through a pretty hard molt. Her body is now growing in feathers nicely and her neck is going through the process now. Well, lately she has been walking backwards and I was wondering if this could be out of irritation. I started looking into it online and it just got me worried.

I let her out of the coop this morning and she jumped out and walked forward and then ducked her head down and walked back 7-10 steps. Then she got across the driveway and did it again but more aggressively like she was running, almost hopping.

She seems ok besides that. Not doing anything weird with her head or neck. But I am worried! She used to kind of do it slightly in the past, I assumed it was because her feathers were in front of her eyes sometimes since she has the beard and it would annoy or confuse her.

Thanks for any help!
-A worried chicken mom

Anyone? She also is pretty thin.
1f61f.png

Neurological issue...could be genetic or related to injury.

advanced search>titles only>walking backwards

Hmm dang. Would you expect it to get worse? Anything I can do for her?

Sorry, every time I have searched for it... its either young hens or some other issue so I cant find anything that relates to this in particular.

I had a girl that went through a very heavy molt, and started walking sideways and backwards like she was drunk. She was malnourished. We kept her inside for about a week and force fed her. She recovered fully!

Good luck!

I had a girl that went through a very heavy molt, and started walking sideways and backwards like she was drunk. She was malnourished. We kept her inside for about a week and force fed her. She recovered fully!

Good luck!

Thank you so much for responding! I have been incredibly stressed for her because I am down to two and I know winter will be hitting us hard soon so I want to help her if I can before I have to find "friends" for the other one in the middle of winter.

Sadly, I am living in the city a couple hours from them. They are living at my parents for the time being and makes it that much more stressful being away from them!!! I would gladly keep her warm and cozy and force feed her if I could! :(

Is there some vitamins I can add to their water that would help? Any suggestions? They are such picky eaters, its hard to give them food and expect them to eat like MOST chickens. She is so sweet, I would be so sad to lose her and leave the other alone.
hit.gif

She wont eat a good balanced chicken ration...crumbles or pellets??
That should be sufficient, unless she has something(illness/genetic) that is not allowing proper processing of nutrients.
Polyvisol baby vitamins without iron is what I see alot of folks recommending.

Do you know if she is eating or not? My girl was not eating so I had to force feed her (offering her food/treats every 15 minutes) and had to put water down her throat that I added vitamins to.

My chick is starting to grow her head feathers and I noticed her walking backwards, she is eating and drinking fine. Her poop seems fine too. Iv noticed some talk about how their chickens start sometime when they molt, I bought electrolytes from Myers hatchery just in case. I’m guessing it could be due to the molting on the head and neck because the only time they would do that if they have something on their head or touching their head.

Back
Top Bottom