Chicken wire????

happy duck

Crazy duck mom
Mar 24, 2018
Small town
My Coop
My Coop
I have heard a lot about chicken wire. I was just wondering if it is safe to use on the ground of the run for my ducks. I will put it around the run so predators can not dig. What do you guys think? I just want to keep my little ducks safe. I also trust you guys a lot more then the internet. :gigThanks!

Under where the ducks walk? I would say no way. To much risk to their feet.

As the apron extending out from the run?
It can work but degrades quickly. A cage wire 1" x2" mesh size works well and lasts a very long time.

Under where the ducks walk? I would say no way. To much risk to their feet.

As the apron extending out from the run?
It can work but degrades quickly. A cage wire 1" x2" mesh size works well and lasts a very long time.
I would never put it were they walk (sorry I did not make that clear in the post before!). I will put it around the outside of the run. Does that make since?

I personally would stick with hardware cloth when securing a coop or run. I only use chicken wire inside of my coop as a means to separate my chickens. IMO chicken wire has no backbone, is easily manipulated and broken, and can be bitten through. Depending on the predator, it is really not much of barrier. I've seen video of the short work a hungry raccoon can make of it. Whatever you decide, good luck with it.

I personally would stick with hardware cloth when securing a coop or run. I only use chicken wire inside of my coop as a means to separate my chickens. IMO chicken wire has no backbone, is easily manipulated and broken, and can be bitten through. Depending on the predator, it is really not much of barrier. I've seen video of the short work a hungry raccoon can make of it. Whatever you decide, good luck with it.
I have heard of this and think of it all the time when I am considering chicken wire. I am just trying to stay cheap, but I would much rather spend more money then not care and let my ducks die. Here are some pics of my ducks(just for fun!!!!) They are when they were younger and some are more recent. Sorry there are so many, but I just keep finding good pics!

IMG_20180407_164453.jpg 20180505_123118.jpg 20180505_122959.jpg IMG_20180407_164503 (1).jpg 20180505_123210.jpg IMG_20180421_134426-EFFECTS.jpg

I completely understand. While I was scratching out dimensions for my run, it quickly went from being grande to just big enough because of the cost issue associated with using hardware cloth. In the end I decided that I would rather make adjustments in size than skimp on quality materials that will better secure my flock and give me piece of mind. Granted, nothing is fail proof, but considering the resources and $$ I had available, I feel confident my chooks are safe. Just do what you can to keep those adorable babies protected.

I completely understand. While I was scratching out dimensions for my run, it quickly went from being grande to just big enough because of the cost issue associated with using hardware cloth. In the end I decided that I would rather make adjustments in size than skimp on quality materials that will better secure my flock and give me piece of mind. Granted, nothing is fail proof, but considering the resources and $$ I had available, I feel confident my chooks are safe. Just do what you can to keep those adorable babies protected.
Thanks! That makes me feel better. Sometimes I feel burdened to do something that another person does because they said it keeps there animals safe, but when money comes along I am always having to do something different.Then I feel like it will not work(even tho I know it will). The good thing is I can start with something cheap, hold on to it for a while(or until is gives way), get some money, and then go buy what is safer.

Back
Top Bottom