Chicken with broken? finger

tomik261

Chirping
May 9, 2023
I was closing the coop for the night and I noticed there was blood on the floor and it was coming from her. When we got her inside we disinfected and patched with some bandages and sticks for support. She had and exposed joint but it wasn't fractured and we tried to put it as best into place. Do you think she could make a full recovery/ any tips in helping her recover.

Attachments

• IMG_20230604_210249793.jpg
    IMG_20230604_210249793.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20230604_211109663.jpg
    IMG_20230604_211109663.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 19
She will likely always have a crooked toe. Just keep it clean and dry. I'd be more concerned with finding whatever caused that damage. I've had plenty of birds do something stupid and break a toe, but never any bad enough that it's shown bone outside the body

She will likely always have a crooked toe. Just keep it clean and dry. I'd be more concerned with finding whatever caused that damage. I've had plenty of birds do something stupid and break a toe, but never any bad enough that it's shown bone outside the body
She loves flying over to our backyard maybe she caught it on something. Otherwise I really don't know. I just hope if it's by her own cause she won't do it again
For now I'm going to sleep I'll check this in like 8 hours and then go to school

Last edited:
She had and exposed joint but it wasn't fractured and we tried to put it as best into place. Do you think she could make a full recovery/ any tips in helping her recover.
Is the bone exposed?

Likely she will lose the tip of the toe. Keep it cleaned with an antiseptic like Chlorhexidine. Wrapping is o.k. but you'll want to change the wrapping daily and inspect the toe for infection.

Is the bone exposed?

Likely she will lose the tip of the toe. Keep it cleaned with an antiseptic like Chlorhexidine. Wrapping is o.k. but you'll want to change the wrapping daily and inspect the toe for infection.
Ok I will change it this evening as for the tip she had a bit of her joint exposed but we managed to put it back into place and the tip of her toe is attached well so I think there is some chance the joints will fuse but I don't think she'll lose it.

Edit: any tips for pain killers we have ibuprofen but only in the form of 400 mg tablets and I don't think it would be easy to dose 20mg from that

Edit 2 : I talked with my mom about changing the gauze and she thinks that the less we move the splint the faster she'll heal. She would be inside not outside. Any differing opinion on this?

Last edited:
Update she's doing good, we decided to put her outside for a day and see how it goes. She has sa bandage with some tape so water doesn't get in and we'll check on her.

Attachments

• IMG_20230610_095109417.jpg
    IMG_20230610_095109417.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 15
Very late update for anyone wondering. I opted for cutting it off, she kept severing it by digging around in ground and I was afraid it'd be a nuisance maybe even dangerous to have it hanging by a string like that. So I just cut it off with a box cutter, disinfected with iodine and a few weeks later she's doing perfectly okay. It has healed almost in a week after the operation. I did have her on antibiotics for a while but I think it wasn't really needed.

Here she is encroaching on our house, as you can see the finger is just fine. I don't think its really affected her safe for the pain it caused her.
IMG_20230706_094029097.jpg

Back
Top Bottom