Chicken with droopy wings

Dotschickmom

Hatching
Oct 11, 2023
Hi! My 2yr old chicken has been acting off for a couple days. She’s the lowest in the pecking order so she gets picked on a good bit but I noticed she was hanging out in the coop a lot more and being bullied really bad. She was also not roosting with the rest but either sleeping on the floor or in the nesting box. I would put her up to roost at night. one night I did that and 11am the next day she hadn’t gotten down. Then I let the girls out in the yard and blanches wings were very droopy.
Since being separated I notice her crop empties fine but she only poops 2-3 times a day and not over night but fist thing in the morning when I make her stand up. They are huge extremely smelly poops. Her appetite is fine but I have to put the food in front of her for her to eat it and she does so lying down. I don’t see her drinking as much. When she does get up she’s stretches her wings out but then they end up back on the ground and she steps on them. I noticed her breathing through her beak but I think it might be b/c she’s stressed. she’s always been a scared nervous chicken. She’s also molting so I’m wondering if she’s just having a really hard time during it or if this is something more serious.

Things I’ve done so far
-Gave Epsom salt bath
-Given a hard boiled egg one day
-Electrolytes- but they gave her diarrhea
-A bit of nutri drench
-Wet her food and mash it up with a little cinnamon and oregano, ginger, garlic, and probiotics
-cooper sulfate in water (it’s the 3rd day with this)

I’m probably doing to much but the avian vet near me isn’t seeing chickens b/c of the avian flu so I’m not sure what to do.
IMG_6385.jpeg
IMG_6383.jpeg
8453C910-FE55-4A9A-81C8-0670C4E8B319.jpeg
IMG_6396.png

I wonder if in addition to molting, she is broody? Their poop is huge and stinks. Is she clucking like a mother hen?

Her comb though could be an indication of dehydration. You could get some watermelon as I'd bet she'd eat that and it would hydrate her plus be some electrolytes. I'd try give her vitamin water too, like Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell, etc.

You could also try make a mash with her pellets/crumbles and water. Ours think of that as a treat for some reason but it also would help hydrate her.

Try some probiotics like sugarfree Greek yogurt, fermented feed, Hydro Hen, ACV w/ mother in water (1 Tb/gallon) every other day at most.

Back
Top Bottom