Chicken with one swollen eye. HELP!!

Kearaaaa23

Chirping
May 18, 2023
Hello, I woke up to one of my chickens having a swollen eye but the other eye is fine. She has been scratching her eye a lot but seems to be acting fine. I also noticed small bubbles in the swollen eye. I'm assuming one of the other chickens pecked her eye? She sleeps with her head under her wings, I'm going to clean her head with saline water but is there anything else I can do? I'm looking for homemade remedies because it's really hard to go to the vet etc... please help thanks :)

Attachments

• 20230705_073839.jpg
    20230705_073839.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 192
  • 20230705_073858.jpg
    20230705_073858.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 16
That can be an early sign of a respiratory disease MG, especially if she is sleepy and not active. You can clean the eye with saline, and apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. If it worsens or you see pus or sneezing, then I would get Tylosin powder for the water from Jedds.com online and treat for MG.

That can be an early sign of a respiratory disease MG, especially if she is sleepy and not active. You can clean the eye with saline, and apply either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. If it worsens or you see pus or sneezing, then I would get Tylosin powder for the water from Jedds.com online and treat for MG.
I won't be able tofind that here, she scratches her face a lot and like a squelching sound comes, she isn't active like she used to be but was perfectly good yesterday but not today.. shes also yawning/gasping more and the bubbles in her eye come and go. Btw is MG curable I read that it stays with a bird until they die. I might just have to cull her because I don't want her to pass it on to the rest or the chicks she's going to hatch :((

If she has MG, the others that have been with her have probably all been exposed already or in the past. It is a lifelong disease, but she might get better with treatment. She may have had it in her body and became a little compromised with the stress of broodyness, and it came out. So culling her may not keep your flock safe from it. How long before she hatches the eggs? I would treat her for MG with Tylosin or another proper antibiotic (Denagard, oxytetracycline, Baytril) from a vet around you. If you do choose to cull her, you can send her body to the state vet for a neceopsy and testing to know exactly what she has.

If she has MG, the others that have been with her have probably all been exposed already or in the past. It is a lifelong disease, but she might get better with treatment. She may have had it in her body and became a little compromised with the stress of broodyness, and it came out. So culling her may not keep your flock safe from it. How long before she hatches the eggs? I would treat her for MG with Tylosin or another proper antibiotic (Denagard, oxytetracycline, Baytril) from a vet around you. If you do choose to cull her, you can send her body to the state vet for a neceopsy and testing to know exactly what she has.
I'm in the UK and I don't think they can do neceopsy. She's only 8-9 weeks old. All the medicines you reccomended aren't available here. Yesterday 2 of my older pullets spent the night with her as their getting treated for cocciodosis and my other 2 chicks were close to their box. I'm terrified that they might all have it now. Up until today morning she was completely fine. Now the other haven't been eating or as active as before. I'll probably just leave them all untreated for now and see what happens 🤷🏽‍♀️

Do you know how quickly it can spread?

Do you know how quickly it can spread?
It is extremely contagious. You can almost guarantee any chicken in a close proximity has it.

A majority of chickens who have it won't show severe symptoms. It will usually present at the initial onset or during periods of increased stress. It may pass without treatment, but cleaning the eyes is a good start.

But yes, if you have future plans to expand your flock and be disease free would be to euthanize all the birds, completely turn over their entire living area and wait a few months atleast before adding new birds back.

It is extremely contagious. You can almost guarantee any chicken in a close proximity has it.

A majority of chickens who have it won't show severe symptoms. It will usually present at the initial onset or during periods of increased stress. It may pass without treatment, but cleaning the eyes is a good start.

But yes, if you have future plans to expand your flock and be disease free would be to euthanize all the birds, completely turn over their entire living area and wait a few months atleast before adding new birds back.
Thats what I'm thinking, keeping a closed flock isn't ideal for me at all as I want to expand my flock, I'll start off by cleaning the one that has the symptoms and go without treating her if she dies then she dies I suppose. I'll keep the ones that aren't showing symptoms yet and get fertile eggs from a licensed poultry and hatch them. Then I'll have to cull all of the ones I have now.

Hello, I have a question on saline solution, I made it at home but can the salt have anti caking agents or does it have to be pure natural salt? Also can a flock in which all chickens are infected with MG live without any future flares? I really don't want to cull any of my girls but I don't want to keep a closed flock either.. any advice?

Hello, is it definiately MG because her eye has completely cleared up? No bubbles no anything and I only washed her eye with saline solution 8-9hrs ago? There's no swelling,she's eating and drinking, no sneezing etc... when I first noticed her swollen eye there weren't any bubbles except when I started checking around the eye and touching the swollen area and under her eyes.

Back
Top Bottom