Chicken with rattle breathing after surgery

cheep82

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2016
Australia
My girl had her wing amputated 2 weeks ago this coming Monday due to an infection from an attack.
I checked on her last night and she vomited water so was thinking maybe sour crop from the surgery although she had been fine previously. I just checked on her and she now has a rattling breathing sound. I know that during the surgery the vet said the infection had started to spread to the chest area and he cleaned it and she was put on baytril. Now that's finished I'm wondering could it be the infection flaring up again? She's bright enough, I'm off to work in a few hours so will need to take her to the vet tonight (so in 12hrs). Any ideas?

My girl had her wing amputated 2 weeks ago this coming Monday due to an infection from an attack.
I checked on her last night and she vomited water so was thinking maybe sour crop from the surgery although she had been fine previously. I just checked on her and she now has a rattling breathing sound. I know that during the surgery the vet said the infection had started to spread to the chest area and he cleaned it and she was put on baytril. Now that's finished I'm wondering could it be the infection flaring up again? She's bright enough, I'm off to work in a few hours so will need to take her to the vet tonight (so in 12hrs). Any ideas?

Infections most likely spread, maybe call the vet first and ask if you can do anything to help her while your at work, then take her back if she has gotten worse.

Thanks. That's my suspicion and not what I was wanting. Poor girl has been through a lot the last few weeks. I'm thinking if it's not cleared up its not a good sign

So far she's still alive. Vet gave her a baytril shot as he thinks it's the infection back again. We'll assess tomorrow, if she's perked up she will get a strong antibiotic shot.if worse then we'll have to look at putting her to sleep.

If the infection is from bacteria spread to her lungs I would ask the vet about tylosin which responds better to a respiratory infection. You would see tesults5from an injection just after a couple

Thanks. I'm cautiously optimistic but so far she is pulling through well. She went back Saturday for another injection and then I've been giving her oral antibiotics. We went back today for suture removal and there are no fluid sounds with breathing and she is back to eating and being a normal chicken. I have 3 weeks of antibiotics to give her and fingers crossed it all works out. In a week I'll try and integrate her back with visits with the other girls. She went outside yesterday and today for scratching and normal chicken stuff under supervision.

Just an update. Cheep died today :( she started to lose weight noticeably last week and eating not so much. Vet was thinking it was the same infection, I wasn't convinced. Yesterday she was outside enjoying the sun (still living inside) and was ok this morning but had passed away during the day while at work. I think she had egg peritonitis. She hasn't laid since the wing removal and the antibiotics for the other infection I think slowed down the peritonitis but wasn't the right drug in my opinion. I'm only guessing but from research it could be it. She fought very hard and I did think she was going to make it. Intergrating her was very difficult as the other 2 girls would not accept her even though they saw her daily through a cage.

Back
Top Bottom