Chicken with silent open-mouthed breathing (video)

VaellaBee

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2018

This chicken open-mouthed silent breathing and has less pep in her step than the others.

Last night we had a raccoon outside the coop. He didn't get in, but they're all stressed about it since we had a bad raccoon attack about a month ago.

This morning, my husband said one chicken was wheezing. I don't hear wheezing, but see this weird breathing.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

What's the temperature where you're at? Very hot? Make sure that there isn't any wheezing. If there is, then it's a respitory infection.

Aww poor girl 😢
Could be gapeworm but fortunately if it is it’s treatable. I would separate her from the flock if she’s distressed and treat her for worms specifically gapeworm, and treat the others as well incase they’re all about to be gasping for air too.

https://ecopetlife.com/gapeworm-symptoms-in-chickens/
I personally think it's too early to be able to diagnose gapeworm when we don't know if there's any wheezing going on. It's sounding more like a respitory infection to me. But it's always good to rule even the smallest things out!

What's the temperature where you're at? Very hot? Make sure that there isn't any wheezing. If there is, then it's a respitory infection.

Aww poor girl 😢
Could be gapeworm but fortunately if it is it’s treatable. I would separate her from the flock if she’s distressed and treat her for worms specifically gapeworm, and treat the others as well incase they’re all about to be gasping for air too.

https://ecopetlife.com/gapeworm-symptoms-in-chickens/
Thank you both for responding!

I'm in Montana and it has been a mild Spring with some rainy days and temps around 85 high.

They free-range in a large, suburban yard and their coops are clean. I use Timothy hay and pine shavings for bedding (in case any of that is relevant.)

Do you think her immune system might be down from the stress of raccoons? Is there a respiratory disease that can come up due to stress?

Last month, I programmed a new chicken door incorrectly and we lost 2 chickens. Last night, the racoon was back. He didn't get in, but they were all very distressed about it and this morning is when she showed this symptom.

For now, I'm going to quarantine her and monitor the situation. I will be able to see better how she's eating, drinking, and pooping.

How do I know if I'm dealing with Gapeworm or Respiratory infection? Can I treat both simultaneously?

I saw This video on YouTube awhile ago and he had the same thing going on and started treating her for respiratory infection, but then treated her for gapeworm. He’s a chicken pro, so you’ll most likely find it helpful. Good luck! Post an update when you can

Thank you both for responding!

I'm in Montana and it has been a mild Spring with some rainy days and temps around 85 high.

They free-range in a large, suburban yard and their coops are clean. I use Timothy hay and pine shavings for bedding (in case any of that is relevant.)

Do you think her immune system might be down from the stress of raccoons? Is there a respiratory disease that can come up due to stress?

Last month, I programmed a new chicken door incorrectly and we lost 2 chickens. Last night, the racoon was back. He didn't get in, but they were all very distressed about it and this morning is when she showed this symptom.

For now, I'm going to quarantine her and monitor the situation. I will be able to see better how she's eating, drinking, and pooping.

How do I know if I'm dealing with Gapeworm or Respiratory infection? Can I treat both simultaneously?
I personally don't think gapeworm. Your girl could be hot if it's 85 and humid. I don't think that a respitory infection could come up that quick, but I think it's a good idea to quarantine her to see up front how she's doing. Try giving her some electrolyte water. That will help boost her energy and give her the push she needs. Do you have any vitamin C? You could put a little of that along with some apple cider vinegar in her water as well. Here's a recipe for the electrolyte water-

1 Cup Water
2 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda

You could also give her a scrambled egg to eat. That will give her energy and extra nutrients. She may just need time to rest and be away fron the others. If you hear wheezing, then that'll be a good indication of a respitory infection, but check for discharge from her eyes and nose, any swelling of the neck or face, and continued coughing and sneezing.

Back
Top Bottom