Chicken with "swollen" eyes

Flush the eye out with saline, only use qtips if there is gunk in the eye - see if you can rinse the eye clean of any dirt/debris. Then get some pictures. Have someone help hold her while you work on her.

Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last 30 days? If so, how old and where from?
Ok. I'll try that. Is there a chance then, that it's nothing serious?

Yes. 9 chicks. The oldest (at the time) was about 8 weeks old. We got them all at the store I work in. None of the other chicks there (that I can remember and saw. If I was there when they came in I usually was the one who counted the chicks to see how many there were) or any of my other chicks have either swollen eyes or bubbles in their eyes. It was almost four weeks ago that we introduced them, and they never touched each other directly.

when my marans eye swelled I tried everything, after two weeks I finally decided to bring her to the vet and got an antibiotic cream to put in the eye and boom, gone in a couple days.
Thanks. Do you remember what it was called or what the container looked like?

when my marans eye swelled I tried everything, after two weeks I finally decided to bring her to the vet and got an antibiotic cream to put in the eye and boom, gone in a couple days.
Same thing happened to my Marans eye and I tried everything too! I also brought mine to the vet and got antibiotic drops and pills. She got better by the end of her treatments.

Update: so I tried to check her ears and she didn't like it, so I gave up so I wouldn't hurt her. Her eyes seemed kinda dirty today, so I cleaned up some around them. The swelling has changed little to none.

Edit: she also had some bubbles in one of her eyes when I cleaned it.

Last edited:
Update: so I tried to check her ears and she didn't like it, so I gave up so I wouldn't hurt her. Her eyes seemed kinda dirty today, so I cleaned up some around them. The swelling has changed little to none.

Edit: she also had some bubbles in one of her eyes when I cleaned it.
Eye bubbles can mean Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, which is a virus, so not directly treatable, but does open the hen up to secondary infections. I think people treat with Tylan50 for this. Input from others is appreciated.

Would love to see a pic if more bubbles form.

Eye bubbles can mean Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, which is a virus, so not directly treatable, but does open the hen up to secondary infections. I think people treat with Tylan50 for this. Input from others is appreciated.

Would love to see a pic if more bubbles form.
Ok. Is it serious or contagious?

Oh, and I seem to have found some misinformation? One source said virus, but others are saying it's a bacteria, so the antibiotics should hopefully help since you caught it early.

Back
Top Bottom