Chicken with "swollen" eyes

MochaDuck

Crowing
Jun 7, 2018
So I noticed today that my 3yo buff Orpington's eyes looked swollen or something. She's the only one I've noticed with her eyes looking weird. She acts fine. She eats, drinks, and laid an egg today (and took a sun/dust bath). The only major difference in her behavior is that she kinda acted scared of me (which she sometimes walks away when you walk towards her, or crouchs when you pet her, but she isn't scared of people). But she may have just been scared of my phone and camera. What is wrong with her?
@casportpony @Wyorp Rock
(Btw, she wouldn't hold still for me to get a picture of her right eye)

Edit: Should I quarantine her?

TiA

Attachments

• IMG_2572.JPG
    IMG_2572.JPG
    720.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2573.JPG
    IMG_2573.JPG
    785.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2574.JPG
    IMG_2574.JPG
    507.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2575.JPG
    IMG_2575.JPG
    523.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2576.JPG
    IMG_2576.JPG
    456.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thanks. I'll try to get a better look in her eyes. My mom caught another hen pecking her head area earlier.
This will sound stupid, but how do you look inside a chicken's ear?
If another hen is pecking at her some, I would definately give her a good looking over, see if the eye has a scab, if she's got any lice or fleas around the eyes, infection, etc.

I find inspecting a chicken is easier when I have them standing on a table. To look in the ear, gently pull that little tuft of feathers back and you will see the ear canal - it should be clean, smooth and the color of your hen's skin.
upload_2019-5-26_22-12-46.png

Ref

Can you get a better look at her eye? Was she pecked or does she have debris in the corner and underneath the eye?
I would also look inside her ear to make sure there's no infection or debris - hard to tell if that's swollen or the angle of the camera.

General eye care would be to flush with saline and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. You can also use Vetericyn eye gel or plain neosporin.

upload_2019-5-26_20-24-51.png

If another hen is pecking at her some, I would definately give her a good looking over, see if the eye has a scab, if she's got any lice or fleas around the eyes, infection, etc.

I find inspecting a chicken is easier when I have them standing on a table. To look in the ear, gently pull that little tuft of feathers back and you will see the ear canal - it should be clean, smooth and the color of your hen's skin.
View attachment 1790623
Ref
Ok. She's in bed now, so I'll look her over tomorrow.

Update: so I tried to check her ears and she didn't like it, so I gave up so I wouldn't hurt her. Her eyes seemed kinda dirty today, so I cleaned up some around them. The swelling has changed little to none.

Edit: she also had some bubbles in one of her eyes when I cleaned it.

Could the bubbles have just been from me cleaning her eye? They we're only on one eye.

She's already been around the other chickens. Is there still a point in seperating her?

How serious is this, whether is bacteria or a virus? Is it deadly?

Can you get some clearer photos of her eye?
Could you tell if it was dirty, had scabs, fleas/mites?
Bubbles in the eye could be Mycoplasma, but infection from other sources can cause bubbles too. You don't mention any respiratory symptoms. I would flush the eye really well with saline and apply an eye ointment at least 2 times a day as suggested previously. Antibiotics should be your last defense. If she worsens or develops other symptoms then consider treating, but getting testing would be best.

Mycoplasma is a bacterium and does respond to antibiotic treatment, but a bird that recovers would be a carrier and those that have been living/exposed to that bird would be carriers as well.

Anytime there is swelling it's a concern. It may be an infection from debris or a peck/scratch to the eye. Infection of the eyes have many causes. Respiratory disease is one to consider as well, but to me, it looks like there is a scab so if you can get a better photo that would be helpful.
Ok. Thanks again. I'll try to get a better pictures asap.

Borax eye wash
Do you mean boric acid eye wash? Borax is not an eye wash and should never be used in the eye. Boric acid is a very dilute component of borax. Boric acid eye wash is considered to be toxic to infants so I would not recommend it for use in chickens.

Normal saline is available to flush eyes and is very safe. You can make your own by boiling 1 tsp of table salt in 2 cups of water. You may also use plain Neosporin or Terramycin eye ointment twice a day in the eye.

Can you see the eye inside the eyelids? I am just wondering if the eyeball has been pierced and is leaking vitreous fluid from inside.

I just got this chick from a local woman. She told me her eye was missing bc she was getting pecked at but upon closer inspection it's a swollen ball. I cleaned it with warm water. It hurts her for sure. I don't have vets around here that take in chickrns, any suggestions?
It would be best if you post a new thread of your own, since this thread is about another chicken, and we may get very confused on what chicken we are discussing. You can post your new thread here—just click on “post new thread”
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Can you get a better look at her eye? Was she pecked or does she have debris in the corner and underneath the eye?
I would also look inside her ear to make sure there's no infection or debris - hard to tell if that's swollen or the angle of the camera.

General eye care would be to flush with saline and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. You can also use Vetericyn eye gel or plain neosporin.

View attachment 1790520
Thanks. I'll try to get a better look in her eyes. My mom caught another hen pecking her head area earlier.
This will sound stupid, but how do you look inside a chicken's ear?

Back
Top Bottom